Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago I had 4 Dunlop Conquest Touring tires installed on my 2015 Passat. About 5 months ago, less than 15,000 miles we noticed a groaning sound coming from the passenger side rear. I had all 4 tires rotated and now the noise is coming from the passenger side front. This was more annoying than having the groaning noise come from the rear so we had them rotated back again. The "dealer" said it was due to cupping and that's common with Dunlop. He offered to rotate the again to the front and I didn't want that. I want to have the tires replaced but he said the 24 month Road Hazard warranty has passed. He offered to sell me 2 rear tires for a total of $450 which I politely declined. Shouldn't this "cupping" be considered a defect?
Thanks

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
Answered you on Vortex, too.

What's the warranty on a "defect" and did they check the alignment and suspension components on the right rear? Seeing how that is the only one doing it....

Reactions: ralphemansfield

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "manager" at the dealer said it was because of suspension problems in the rear after only about 55,000 miles on the car. I told them to go ahead and fix the problem, rear bushings were worn. The actual person that did the repair showed me the front bushings were worn so he had to press out the old ones and press in the new. Odd, manager said rear bushings were the problem and here the mechanic replaced only the front bushings.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
Cupping is usually associated with some suspension component that's worn out, causing the tire to bounce up and down slightly. Extreme in some cases.
There are some tires that are prone to cupping because of manufacturing integrity. Usually, more expensive tires are less prone to wear issues from manufacturing flaws.
For a number of years now, when I decide to change up a tire brand / model I look to see what the performance history of the tire has.
There are websites dedicated to rating a tires performance that list poor inherent characteristics / safety issues and recalls of a particular brand or model of tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cupping is usually associated with some suspension component that's worn out, causing the tire to bounce up and down slightly. Extreme in some cases.
There are some tires that are prone to cupping because of manufacturing integrity. Usually, more expensive tires are less prone to wear issues from manufacturing flaws.
For a number of years now, when I decide to change up a tire brand / model I look to see what the performance history of the tire has.
There are websites dedicated to rating a tires performance that list poor inherent characteristics / safety issues and recalls of a particular brand or model of tire.
Thanks much for the information, I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.