Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dunlop A2, Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear TripleTread on a 4Mo- what to do.

Please help. Can't make a tire descision. I put the A2 on my 1.8T sedan a few years back and they were great. The tire was re-released as an A2+ for longer wear and the wet traction went down. It was still better than the OEM Contis which would spin if a single raindrop hit them. I put a set on my wife's 4mo wagon and it ate them up in 35k. They never break away as on my car, probably because of the 4mo.

I looked at the Tire Rack reviews for both the A2 and the HydroEdge and the HydroEdge is much better all around, BUT the A2 is a high performance tire and the HydroEdge is not. Tire Rack says that comparisons in different classes are meaningless. Maybe so, but the comments for the HydroEdge are much better. They also have a much higher wear rating, which Tire Rack says is a meaningless number between different manufacturers.

So, here's the dilemna. Do I spend $188 (I have a rebate) on the Dunlops and hope they are better this time or $360 on the Michelins. Either one will cost me $100 for shipping and mounting.

Does anyone here have experience with the HydroEdge?

How about the Goodyear TripleTread?

·
Registered
372 Posts
What characteristics are you seeking?

Check Consumer Reports as well -- I believe they recommend the triple-tread.

CR recommends Dunlop SP Sport 5000 on a variety of factors. I like my Yoko V4s, despite their sub-par winter performance (adequate, just not much more -- 4Mo is enough for well-plowed Boston area), and find them to withstand the 4Mo's horrendous wear-n-tear on my last two sets of tires (OEM Energys and the follow-on Ziex).

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What characteristics are you seeking?

Check Consumer Reports as well -- I believe they recommend the triple-tread.

CR recommends Dunlop SP Sport 5000 on a variety of factors. I like my Yoko V4s, despite their sub-par winter performance (adequate, just not much more -- 4Mo is enough for well-plowed Boston area), and find them to withstand the 4Mo's horrendous wear-n-tear on my last two sets of tires (OEM Energys and the follow-on Ziex).
I'm looking for something that will wear and handle well for a daily driver in rain and light snow and occasional spirited driving.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I really like the Falken ZE-512s on my '98 Passat 1.8T-GIAC and '91 Volvo 940. These tires are relatively inexpensive, reasonably quiet, corner well, and are great on dry and wet surfaces. They also handle well on snowy roads that we have had in Louisville in the 1-3 inch range.

Kevin

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I'm looking for something that will wear and handle well for a daily driver in rain and light snow and occasional spirited driving.
I would add the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H to that list. I got 35K of hard driving mixed with a few long trips on mine. They are not cheap, but they are very quiet and the handling was quite good. They were great in the rain and in the rare snowstorms we had. They are non-directional, so you can rotate them fully.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd add the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as a possibility. It tied with the Falken Ziex ZE-512 by Consumer Reports, but with better tread wear. I only got 21K miles out of my Falkens, so I agree that treadware on this tire is not the best.

The TripleTread will probably give you better tread life, but less grip.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The A2+ is an adequate tire. Been driving on a set for 2years now.

Somebody mentioned the TripleTred. Got a set of those, too. Very impressive, but somewhat noisier. A little less responsive than the Dunlop, but far better in snow and (especially) wet. Much longer treadwear warranty, too.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Please help. Can't make a tire descision. I put the A2 on my 1.8T sedan a few years back and they were great. The tire was re-released as an A2+ for longer wear and the wet traction went down. It was still better than the OEM Contis which would spin if a single raindrop hit them. I put a set on my wife's 4mo wagon and it ate them up in 35k. They never break away as on my car, probably because of the 4mo.

I looked at the Tire Rack reviews for both the A2 and the HydroEdge and the HydroEdge is much better all around, BUT the A2 is a high performance tire and the HydroEdge is not. Tire Rack says that comparisons in different classes are meaningless. Maybe so, but the comments for the HydroEdge are much better. They also have a much higher wear rating, which Tire Rack says is a meaningless number between different manufacturers.

So, here's the dilemna. Do I spend $188 (I have a rebate) on the Dunlops and hope they are better this time or $360 on the Michelins. Either one will cost me $100 for shipping and mounting.

Does anyone here have experience with the HydroEdge?

How about the Goodyear TripleTread?
check out the michelin pilot exalto a/s directional tire,best thing i ever did to my 4-motion,(205-60x15)also check out tire racks reviews and ratings, tire is in all in upper /top % in every catergory ,had them for 10,000 miles(dont even look worn) before last winter,will replace them with same when needed again and will replace my contis on my other passat when they are due with them too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure how helpful this wil be but what the heck. I have a set of Hydroedges on my Vanagon and they are amazing in the rain and last forever! No experience in the snow or on an actual Passat but I was considering them for my Variant when my current tires are done. Best I can do for you.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure how helpful this wil be but what the heck. I have a set of Hydroedges on my Vanagon and they are amazing in the rain and last forever! No experience in the snow or on an actual Passat but I was considering them for my Variant when my current tires are done. Best I can do for you.
How's the noise? I've heard they are noisy.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the Potenza RE960AS. I've tried to get them to break free but they won't. I think I'm going to like them. Well worth the $75 a corner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts