Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Figured I'd drop in with a car and VW related dillema I'm experiencing. Figured you'd have a go at it. Seems the longer I stay away, the longer my posts are (to make up, of course...)

I'm going to apologize right now, because as I begin to type this, I just know it's going to be long. But please bear with me and read it through. I'm looking for the opinions of my friends and fellow enthusiasts. I'll do my best to keep from putting you to sleep, or causing excessive brain hemorrhaging...

First, a quick bit of back-story:

Feb 3, 2003; My wife and I take delivery of our new 330i at the Performance Center. I've always wanted a BMW, and the day has finally come. I've always had VW's in the past. The payments are steep, but we can handle it because it is our one and only car. Fast forward 6 months, and we decide to build a new house. This was nowhere in the picture, or even conceived when we got the 330i.

Jan 7, 2004; We move into the new house that we did significant customization to. Our new mortgage is quite a bit higher than our old. However, we are still able to make all bill payments without problems. But... we no longer have that disposable income we had grown accustomed to.

So... here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I got to thinking that reduced car payments might be better, and allow us to have disposable income once again. Plus... I figured a car with more "practicality", something like a wagon or a hatchback, would be more useful for those Home Depot runs and other times we just wished we had more cargo capacity than the 330i.

So I started looking into how feasible it would be to get something like a wagon or hatchback. But I also wanted something that would be as fun to drive as a BMW... once you've been spoiled in one, it's hard to drive a mundane car again.

But... there are problems!

Well, the biggest problem is this: I've only had the lease on the 330i for 15 months. Needless to say, I'm upside-down on the equity right now. The pay-off is more than what the car is worth. Plus... there's not much out there that I like enough to replace a BMW. I'd wind up regretting loosing the 330i, or I'd have to spend money on modifications that would negate any cost savings I made in the trade.

Then along came the Monster...

For whatever reason my brain misfired and started thinking about a limited edition, factory prepared high-performance tuner car: The Volkswagen R32. This is one sweet hatchback, and probably the best Golf VW has ever built. It's limited to 5000 units in the US, comes standard with AWD, a 240 HP VR6, 18" OZ wheels, big brakes, body kit, one of the sweetest sounding factory exhaust systems EVER, Koenig racing seats, and a whole slew of other goodies and gadgets to make this one hard car to resist. Warnings abound on enthusiast boards that to test drive one is to doom yourself to buying it.

So what's the problem here?

Well, in a nutshell... do I get it, or do I keep the 330i?

One minute I'm drooling at the notion of having a factory tuned (and warranted) sports car. Mind you, I haven't test driven this puppy yet, but have $100 down to guarantee that I get a chance when one comes in. And the next minute I'm thinking to myself that there's no way I can part with my beloved 330i. Unfortunately, there's no way I can have both cars at once.

The pro's and con's:

Well, the pro's of getting the R32 is having a kick-ass little hot hatch to race around in. Plus, this very same racecar can haul more poodoo than my 330i could even on a good day. And there's the possibility (however slight) than I can manage to get it, including my negative equity, for less per month than I'm paying now. I'd be driving a true 6-speed instead of a Step. And I'd once again be active in the VW enthusiast scene... which I must admit I miss.

The con's of getting an R32 is having only 2 doors (no biggie). Having a manual which my wife claims I can't drive smoothly enough to keep her from getting car sick (but she survived my other stick cars). Loosing NAV and Xenons (and the propeller on the hood) which came on the 330i. Having to buy new tint and a set of snow wheels and tires... and probably other goodies like I did with the 330i. And of course, loosing the 330i.

If I keep the 330i, which I think is a wonderful car, I'd not loose the use of the items I purchased for it: Snow wheels/tires, tint, aux adapter, cargo net, first aid box, clear indicators, UGDO, Thule BMW rack crossbars. But I suppose I could sell of these items to help pay for the items I'd need to get on the R32. But if I kept the 330i, then I'd never get to experience the goodness of the R32 either.

So...

Here I am with no clue what I really want. My heart and my brain keep telling me different things, sometimes at the same time. I'm not asking for anyone to make my decision for me, but sometimes it's better for someone outside looking in to give an opinion from their perspective.

Oh, and one last alternative:

I know there will be suggestions to keep the 330i and buy something like a beater pickup or wagon for the practicality of having cargo capacity. Well, I don't necessarily want two cars. Actually, I should correct myself. I already have 2 cars. I also have an '84 VW GTI in storage, but it doesn't drive. I suppose my last option to gain practicality if I keep the 330i is to get this car running.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
How much per month would you actually be saving? Also, the R32 really isn't that cheap of a car. I guess compared to a 330 it is though.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
This is a tough one Eric...

I like to modify cars....so I also keep them til they die....its the only way for me.

I would say.....Passat wagon would fit you pretty darn well. 1.8T with 4mo and 5 speed.....plus APR Stage 3....what else can you possibly want?

Or if you dont want to modify just wait for 300hp VR6 Turbo....next gen Passat...

But go with your instincts...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Eric, your bmw is absolutely beautiful. The color, well, the color is amazing. Trading the 330 in for the R would cure your VW enthusiast/race needs, but I don't think it'll resolve the utility side of the equation. I think Jacob's advice is the way to go, get a variant or wait for the next gen.

I think you need to post a pic of the bmw though, to remind people just how nice it is. :lol:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I can't imagine that buying the R32 is going to save you any real money in the long run. As you said, you'd have to buy new snows and a bunch of other stuff, you're already "upside down" in the lease and finally, you admit to liking the tuner side of VWs so you'll probably end up doing things to the R32 that will eventually negate the cost savings.

To sum up, keep the BMW until the end of the lease.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Also, you gotta look at it another way: even though the R32 is a limited-edition run, something WILL come along down the road that'll be just as fun. Might as well eat the super-fun-factor for now and stick with an already-fun car until the financial situation straightens itself out.

I'm kind of in the same bind since my car got wrecked in January, and since it looks like the car will be repaired back to about 90-95% of the original condition (based on how it's driving now and the expected repairs to come), I'm just going to take it easy on the track events and utilize it more for a daily driver.

Andy

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
get the rabbit running. this method would be the MOST economical . . . or you can get a beater pickup (recommend either a 84-90something toyota tacoma or a ford ranger of equivalent age). but cmon im sure you dont want to be seen with a beater pickup anyways. the only thing you should trade the 330 in for, if you do, is a passat 1.8t wagon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have to agree with the others, keep the Bimer.

like 00Psst said, esspicially being "upsidedown" in the lease, its really not a good time to try to get out of it.

the 330i is an excellent car, like others have said, if you really want to save money and get more utility, a passat variant would be a much better idea.

the cargo space on a R32 is only 3 cubic feet more, and has less over all passenger space. I highly doubt it would be that much more useful for "home depot runs".

-Nick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I did it!

No, no, no... See... you're jumping to conclusions. I TEST DROVE one. I didn't pull the trigger... yet.

Anyway, it was a blast to drive. It makes my 330i with Sport Package seem soft. The torque is amazing, and the car hauled booty at almost any RPM. I kept it under 4K RPM due to the fact that it was a virgin with 17 miles on the clock when I first sat in her. I didn't want to rape it... not on the first date at least.

One thing I found a bit odd was the way the car would lurch you forward in the seats a bit every time you disengaged the clutch. Like without the engine pulling it, it wanted to stop on its own.

So anyway, I told the sales manager to work up some numbers for me and call me tomorrow. He'll see what he can do. I guess we'll see how bad a financial deal it will be in the morning.

Oh, and regarding the wagon... I went there on Friday to test drive 2 cars: A 1.8T GTI and a 1.8T 4Mo Passat wagon. I would consider a GTI now, but the wagon was just way too soft for my tastes now adays. My modded Passat, then a BMW 330i with Sport Package dictates that I must have a decent performer without having to spend a load on mods out of the box. The wagon would have needed a chip, wheels and suspension at a MINIMUM.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Kinda seems like you want it regarless of what we say. You want the R32.

two things, from a money perspective, its a bad move (I know I said it before)

Lets say you paid $43k for the Bimer new, now a year later average trade in is $30, and lets say your upsidedown $5000,

And you put $3,000 down, and get an outstanding 4% loan for 48 months

Your still looking at a $31,000 loan and $699 a month car payment, on a $29,000 car

E-gads man, your driving a 330i, not a toyota camry! be happy.

I will be very intrested to know, if this R32 actually saves you any money.

regardless, you alont make your decision, and if it makes you happy, then more power to you.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Now I remember reading when you went through that whole dilemma of whether or not to get the Bimmer. You had pretty much convinced yourself and us that it was the end all, be all of vehicles for you. :lol:
It's a gourgeous car. I would not even think of trading the 330i in for a VW. I also don't see how you'd be ahead monetarily by getting the VW.
Good luck.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Kinda seems like you want it regarless of what we say. You want the R32.

two things, from a money perspective, its a bad move (I know I said it before)

Lets say you paid $43k for the Bimer new, now a year later average trade in is $30, and lets say your upsidedown $5000,

And you put $3,000 down, and get an outstanding 4% loan for 48 months

Your still looking at a $31,000 loan and $699 a month car payment, on a $29,000 car

E-gads man, your driving a 330i, not a toyota camry! be happy.

I will be very intrested to know, if this R32 actually saves you any money.

regardless, you alont make your decision, and if it makes you happy, then more power to you.

-Nick
This is true.

Did you call and get the loan pay off? Did they actually appraise your BMW? How long is your lease for?

I have a bad feeling you will be much deeper in the car then you think. Since they don't sell R32's at thousands below invoice, you may not even be able to buy it wihtout a large downpayment. Banks will only finance the value of the car. Adding $4K-$8K on top of the price of the car can be a killer. Negative equity is ugly. :sad:

They do have some pretty cool discounts on the GTI 1.8T and you are starting at a much lower price. There may be a way to go on that one! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's put it this way... I'll be surprised if I get an R32. Doesn't mean I don't want one. I'd rather have it AND my 330i. Of course, then I'd just add an S4 Avant or 540 Wagon, Z4 and an RX8 to my garage as well. Oh, and I'll take a 645 too! Yeah, and a Toureg or X5 to tow the '84 Rabbit GTI to the autocross.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
My bro has an mk4 jetta, and 2 of my friends have mk4 golf's and I am NOT a fan. I understand the difference between the R32 and a regular Golf...but I just couldn't. Maybe on the side for a fun car, but never for a daily driver.

My $0.02

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
The GREEK said:
My bro has an mk4 jetta, and 2 of my friends have mk4 golf's and I am NOT a fan. I understand the difference between the R32 and a regular Golf...but I just couldn't. Maybe on the side for a fun car, but never for a daily driver.

My $0.02
Very good statement....and Im positive you wouldnt say that about Passat.

You know I think in the end.....where the car is made does make a difference!

Ive experianced and witnessed the same!!!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 30 Posts