Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade to HID's. Which ones do I buy? Are Hella OEMs the same HID's that are installed on Passat V8s? What is the difference between BiXenon and Xenon? What about club buys? I want to make sure I don't get junk.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Barnacle-Billy said:
I want to upgrade to HID's. Which ones do I buy? Are Hella OEMs the same HID's that are installed on Passat V8s? What is the difference between BiXenon and Xenon? What about club buys? I want to make sure I don't get junk.

Thanks
Bi-Xenon and Xenon are both the same in terms of technology. Bi-Xenon's allow the light to be reflected off a mirror and "split" so you have HID's for your highbeams as well as low beams. Most HID systems cover only the low beams, though you could conceptually install them in both ($$$). The stock W8 lights are Bi-Xenon, and I am pretty sure they are made by Hella. Those are the only bi-xenon that I am aware of for the Passat. I believe they run about 1200 from the dealer, though you could probably find them for much cheaper online or on ebay.

I am not aware of any Bi-Xenon group buys going on right now, you can check the group buys section of the forum though.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
julianfang said:
US spec W8 HIDs are NOT plug and play with B5.5's...if you want HIDS, send a PM to airwalk, he can usually get a set of euro spec b5.5 HIDS or euro spec W8 HIDS, which are plug and play, for about 950 USD shipped.
Good info Julian. I will file that away for later as I am also interested in a pair of Bi-Xenons (though I currently lack the funding :lol:)

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,646 Posts
I'm really confused here. In my '04 W8 when the high beams are turned on a separate bulb turns on. Different from the HIDs. Indicating to me that they are not actually bi-xenon but just xenon with an H7 bulb for the high beams.

Could some one please clarify what is going on here. Are only the european W8 lights bi-xenon?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Tom Parish said:
I'm really confused here. In my '04 W8 when the high beams are turned on a separate bulb turns on. Different from the HIDs. Indicating to me that they are not actually bi-xenon but just xenon with an H7 bulb for the high beams.

Could some one please clarify what is going on here. Are only the european W8 lights bi-xenon?
You can do a "second pull" (first will turn on fog lights) on your switch "On" position and have only Xenon for your hi-beams. Otherwise, both Xenon and halogen hi-beams are working. Xenon is not a good deal for separate hi-beams since it takes a while for them to warm up, will not work for "flashing", this is why on bi-xenon they have "mirrors" vs. actual separate HID bulb for hi-beams.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
tom, point your car against a wall and turn on your low beams. Then pull the turn signal stalk to flash your highs- you should hear a clunk as the shutter which creates the low beam cut-off flip out of the way, you'll also see the difference in light pattern as the horizontal cut-off goes away. You'll also see the H7 (separate) high-beams flash on as well.

If you see no difference in your xenon's cut-off pattern, and you ONLY see the halogens turn off, your bi-xenons aren't working. I'm pretty sure that US W8's had bi-xenon's...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Xenon is not a good deal for separate hi-beams since it takes a while for them to warm up, will not work for "flashing", this is why on bi-xenon they have "mirrors" vs. actual separate HID bulb for hi-beams.
FWIW, the new Acura TL's have bi-xenons, and the xenon's are used for "flashing". Odd, but it works... more or less.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tom Parish said:
I'll check it out tonight.:thumbup:
How'd it check out?

I'm curious about this, too - I intend to upgrade to E-spec HIDs at some point or another.

ETKA doesn't make a distinction between the "normal" euro HIDs and the W8 ones, other than a suffix change from M to Q.

I think suffix T is for North America - doesn't have a specific light for NA W8s shown, though?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Barnacle-Billy said:

Thanks
more dumb questions:
and how do you get the blue look you see on high end cars? Do you get that just by upgrading to HID or do you have to buy additional bulbs or something, maybe an option when you upgrade to HIDs?

Thanks,

mniccum

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
u can just buy blue bulbs but it won't be very bright, in fact it'll be a dull blue.

or u can get the blue look on hids by higher degree bulbs. i think stock are 4300k (white) and u start seeing blue around 6000k.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1.8Tttturbo said:
u can just buy blue bulbs but it won't be very bright, in fact it'll be a dull blue.

or u can get the blue look on hids by higher degree bulbs. i think stock are 4300k (white) and u start seeing blue around 6000k.
So what are stock on the high end cars that make it so blue? Are their any issues with running higher degree bulbs to get the blue look?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
every car make is different, but i know audi/vw's oem hids are 4300k. i guess acura/lexus probably are a bit higher, that's all.

either way, white is brighter than blue =)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The blue does not make it high end - in fact, blue makes it look cheap. The VW Audi lights are actually VERY white and Acuras, I see a little more of a purply tint but still are white. Blue is fake.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, I was in front of a window the other day, and it is true, the W8 has bi-xen headlights. With the Rear Fog position switched, it is much easier to see that the shutter works, and with the engine off, you can hear it. Note, the H7s come on WITH the BI as well when not in REAR fog mode, just harder to see, but still noticeable. Which im sure is SUPER blinding to oncoming traffic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts