Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. a duvet & a comforter?

Aren't they basically the same thing... the "top" heavy blanket?

Also, can I put a duvet cover on a comforter (if they arent one in the same)? Or will I be breaking some unwritten rule of bedding?

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
BoeserBlick said:

Also, can I put a duvet cover on a comforter (if they arent one in the same)? Or will I be breaking some unwritten rule of bedding?
What the hell are you, as a bachelor, doing asking this type of question? :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
my better half says, duvet=cover for top comforter/blanket/whatever, kind of like a giant pillowcase; comforter=stand alone cover/blanket/whatever...i have no idea what the "rules of bedding" are :suspicio: :sleep: :lol:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
A duvet is a cover you put over a down comforter. Like Mr.PassatMan says, it's like a big pillow case. It usually has large buttons to close the top. What's nice about them is that you can change them for a different look and they will fit into your washer unlike the down comforter. It's for protection and looks.

http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcbabbdgstr|rshop/pipcbabbdgduv|gp4166|k|rshop|s&pkey=cbabbdgstr&gids=p4407

If you look at this stripped cover, it has a comforter inside.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Duvets are also excellent for summer sleeping bags, when you need to crash someplace but really don't want to use a hot nylon sleeping bag :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
Duvet in French means comforter, so in essence there is no real difference between a comforter and a duvet. The only thing that sets them apart is that some comforters are colored or have patterns on them. These type of comforters are to be used as an individual top of the bed.
Thats why they are called duvet covers. It's a fancy way of saying comforter cover. That's all they are.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
uhh i know less about this than the most clueless guy :lol:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SDPassatT said:
BoeserBlick said:

What the hell are you, as a bachelor, doing asking this type of question? :lol: :wink:
Har har har... (lol)...
When I moved in to my apt, someone gave me a duvet cover as housewarming present. Since I didn't wtf a duvet was, I had no idea what it was supposed to be covering. Late last night, I was doing the laundry & it started to bug me so I did a google (didn't want to wake the GF up so I figured I'd ask you guys/gals) for duvets & got nothing but comforter stuff from the search. So I assumed it was a comforter.

So basically, its just a comforter cover, huh?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
BoeserBlick said:

[Tyler Durden] Do you know what a duvet is? It's a blanket, that's all, just a blanket. Is this important, do we need to know what a duvet is? Is it important in the hunter/gatherer sense?[/Tyler Durden]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
poohbear
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing