Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd share a good (thus far) tale of VWOA coming through without a fight...
My 98 GLS has 91k on it and I think the timing belt tensioner was going, because at first it was chattering below 2k rpm
and then 2 days later theres some loss of power with that chatter
and then basicly no power below 4k rpm until it died on the way to the dealer
and it had to be towed.
Next day they call and tell me the timing belt snapped.

I have every receipt for every service (5k oils and sched. maint)
so they make copies and fax it in and it's approved-
rebuilt engine on order from germany.

The service advisor said she hasn't seen one so easily approved
in her 25 years.

So, will i now have 170hp? :wink:

What will they actually replace, just the engine block?
Or will there be new pumps as well?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, Thats great. It shows how easier things can be when you maintain a car properly and keep all your documentation.

You may want to have a conversation with the service manager to see if there are any items it may make sense to replace while the engine is out of the car. Clutch?? Not sure, just a thought.

Don

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
I would expect a new long block. Engine block,head,water pump. I would be suprised if
you get more than that. Same turbo and intake,same horsepower. a/c,p/s,alternator reused.
PZ.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donmei it's a tip, but i did plan on having the ATF done soon- probably at an indy when I get it back.

PZ do you think they'll be so cheap as to reuse the belts/plugs from the old engine?
I would want the typical belts done at the time of a timing belt change- a/c, p/s, alternator, and a thermostat.

Also, will my 100k warranty continue on the new engine or does it come with some new warranty?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Like PZ said, sounds like just the block/head is coming. "the damaged parts"
You'd think they'd throw in a LITTLE preventive maintenance.

No water pump. The service manager said they haven't even been shipping with timing belts on them.

They plan on reusing my water pump, all belts, spark plugs, etc.
They wanted 136 just for the water pump (plus labor! hello, the engine is OUT of the car)..
I told them to give me new belts and thats it. Wonder what they'll hit me with for labor on that. LOL
I'll wait till 99k for the water pump and thermostat from my indy.

I sure hope they don't try to reuse my TB tensioner and roller or we'll be starting all over again :roll:

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Ripple said:
Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Like PZ said, sounds like just the block/head is coming. "the damaged parts"
You'd think they'd throw in a LITTLE preventive maintenance.

No water pump. The service manager said they haven't even been shipping with timing belts on them.

They plan on reusing my water pump, all belts, spark plugs, etc.
They wanted 136 just for the water pump (plus labor! hello, the engine is OUT of the car)..
I told them to give me new belts and thats it. Wonder what they'll hit me with for labor on that. LOL
I'll wait till 99k for the water pump and thermostat from my indy.

I sure hope they don't try to reuse my TB tensioner and roller or we'll be starting all over again :roll:
It almost makes you wish for an afternoon alone with that new engine while it's still on the pallet. Just order up everything from Liberty or Drew (or whereever) and start spinning your wrenches. Wouldn't that be great?

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
Not shipped with timing belts?? Hope they got the cams locked..Pretty sad,they should
not charge labor since,they have to remove all of the parts to swap over. They should
charge less as it is easier to put in new parts.
PZ.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
bring them the water pump. Tell them to put it on instead of removing the one from the old engine. It will take less time and they are already being paid to do it.

It will cost a bit to change it after as I believe the front end needs to be removed to change it.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Altair 4 said:
It almost makes you wish for an afternoon alone with that new engine while it's still on the pallet. Just order up everything from Liberty or Drew (or whereever) and start spinning your wrenches. Wouldn't that be great?
Trust me, it ain't that great.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to bring them my own belts and pump but the timing is bad.
Engine should be there today. I'm sure my indy guys can do the pump without taking it all apart again.
Besides, I still have 8k left on the warranty for that pump. Might as well wait!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, nothing can be as easy as it seems in the beginning. :cry:

I dropped the car off on January 31.
On Feb 3rd they had their VWoA approval and engine on order.
Engine arrives on Feb 11 or 12.
Today I learn Germany shipped the WRONG ENGINE.

The dealer would give me a loaner at this point if they weren't booked weeks in advance, despite their no-loaner policy on powertrain warranty work.

VWoA won't give me anything towards a rental unless parts are on backorder (their typical line) even though they F'd this up themselves.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Call every 5 minutes asking for a rental, they will get fed up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
it's all about the documentation.. glad to hear all is going well

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE 2/23/04

I picked up the car on Friday.
The dealer made up for the extra delay by getting VWoA to cover the water pump replacement.

So, total out of pocket- $59.85 for the 3 v-belts I told them to replace instead of using the ones from the old engine.

New install included:
tube, hose, fx base engine, washer, hose,gasket,gasket,oil filter, oil, washer,washer,clip,coolant,spark plugs,washer,water pump, v-belts.

First thing I noticed was how quiet the new engine is.
Second thing I noticed was my engine cover missing. The rebuilt engine did not come with mounting holes drilled for the cover, so I'm going naked from now on. No big deal.

Today on my first commute I immediately noticed-

-more power then the old engine prior to problems
-quieter and smoother at idle
-no more jolting when quickly letting off the gas (perhaps motor mounts or tranny mounts were loose before)

I am glad to have a new engine at 92k miles but 3 weeks was painful.

QUICK QUESTION:
Since this is a rebuilt, do I need to be in "break-in" mode for the next 1k miles?

Thanks again for everyone's input, advice, and support.
Here's to another 92k and beyond! :beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
crash893
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing