Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the record, I had my 20k service done at the dealer. Yes, it's a glorified oil change that comes with a cabin air filter, but it was dirt cheap and I was lazy that day. So what?

Today, about two months later, I turn 25k miles. Just a tick over, I arrive home and immediately grab the MityVac. I set that to drain the engine oil and leave the engine (and filter!) to cool off for a bit. I come back a few minutes later, pump the MV again and get mainly bubbles. I move the hose around, find the last of the oil and remove the filter. Oil drips out for all of a minute and it's done. Not even a drop.

Here's the problem ...

Between the MityVac and what's siting in a plastic bag that also contains my used oil filer, I pulled about TWO QUARTS of oil out of my beloved B5.5. Now, I'm no genius, but I'm fairly certain that this is HALF of what I should be able to get out of it. In the previous two oil changes that I did, I was always able to get about 3.5 qts out. Two seems somehow ...inadequate.

I have no spots on my garage floor or driveway. My belly pan (when viewed top-down from the engine bay) is oil-free. The car runs well and everything appears to be doing its job. WTF?

I always played with the idea of a boost gauge and possibly something else. Is it now worth it to install an oil pressure gauge to get a better idea as to what's going on in my engine compartment? (And does anyone know of a better color match than the AWE Tuning stuff? The oil press and boost gauge together are almost $450. If I can get close to factory colors for less, I would.)

I'm not terribly happy right now. (duh)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
This is why I check my oil right after going to the stealership and every fill up. Dealerships have been known to screw up oil changes.
Passat do eat some oil. I tend to lose and replace 1qt or so in my v6.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
I would think that the oil pressure light would come on it you only had 2 quarts on oil on the engine. I suggest you drop the belly pan and unscrew the oil drain plug just to make sure your MityVac is doing its job. I also suggest you check the oil level on the dipstick before changing your oil to monitor any oil loss.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
You don't say if you use dino or synthetic, but 2 quarts of dino oil running for any length of time will really cook up in a 1.8T. Drain from the plug/pan and see what you get and then monitor every 500 miles until the next change. The combinattion of using a quart every 2-3,000 miles and running it with 2 quarts for a little bit of time would give me shivers for the long term prognosis for that engine/turbo.

If all your service is done at dealer or you have meticulous receipts, you can probably still get warranty if anything goes wrong. There is some type of coverage for using oil, but if I recall, it's alot and they want to do the monitoring themselves. Follow it for awhile, but it may just be a good car to trade out of. Good luck!

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you have a v6 than that rate of consumption is 'normal'. The 1.8's don't normally use any oil between changes. I would jump under the car and check the oil pan for oil, make sure it is really empty. Oil does not sit in the filter, you will always get the same amount dripping out of there reguardless of if you drained the oil pan or not.

Sounds like you might need to check your oil on a weekly basis. The oil light or an oil pressure sensor do not monitor oil level, oil pressure is different. 2 and a half quarts of oil could go unnoticed by those gauges, but there are other things that could happen. Breif starvation (ok, the oil pressure gauge would show the drop but you would need to really be watching it), increased oil temperature, and reduced oil life.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
mopower said:
If you have a v6 than that rate of consumption is 'normal'....
Losing 2 to 2.5 quarts of oil is "normal" consumption for a V6 for a OCI of 5k??? I've got 98k on my 2000 V6 and maybe I'm down 1/4 to 1/2 quart, if that, after 5k. I've never had to add a quart of oil yet between OCs. Must have oil leaks if he's losing that much. More than likely, the Mighty Vac wasn't so mighty or the tech lost count of number of quarts he put in.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Tom Parish said:
I suggest you drop the belly pan and unscrew the oil drain plug just to make sure your MityVac is doing its job.
Here is a prize winning tip. Maybe it's not your steelership after all.

I used a oil pump 1 tiome and 1 time only. I found that it saved a mess and time, but when I only drew out 2.5 quarts, I knew that it was wrong and found the last quart and a half in the bottom of my oil pan. Now I use ramps instead of an oil pump.

8,184 Posts
kenblasko said:
Losing 2 to 2.5 quarts of oil is "normal" consumption for a V6 for a OCI of 5k??? I've got 98k on my 2000 V6 and maybe I'm down 1/4 to 1/2 quart, if that, after 5k. I've never had to add a quart of oil yet between OCs. Must have oil leaks if he's losing that much. More than likely, the Mighty Vac wasn't so mighty or the tech lost count of number of quarts he put in.
That is what I was thinking too..... I have the oil smell every AM and I don't even lose 1\4Q in 5,000.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
kenblasko said:

My experience as well. I'm at 90k.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
nm+ said:
This is why I check my oil right after going to the stealership and every fill up. Dealerships have been known to screw up oil changes.
Passat do eat some oil. I tend to lose and replace 1qt or so in my v6.
Def the case for V6....I wouldn't say the same about 1.8T I have noticed 0 oil cunsumption over past 6 years between 2 Passats.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kenblasko said:
Must have oil leaks if he's losing that much. More than likely, the Mighty Vac wasn't so mighty or the tech lost count of number of quarts he put in.
See, I've used the MV before and I've always drawn out about 3.5 qts or so. I'm doing it the same way I always did and this is the first time this has happened.

Obviously, I'm going to pay *very* close attention to my oil level for the next 5k miles. In fact, I will likely ramp the car next time and do a traditional drain-n-fill for my 30k change. I know exactly how much oil I put in last night, so I have a good idea of how much I should be getting out. If I'm wrong, then ...

Never mind that. Since I know how much I put in, I'm going to continue with the MityVac. If I pull out anything less than 3.5 qts, then I'll ramp the car and see what's left when I pull the drain plug. That'll tell me if I'm eating oil or the MV was a bad investment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
traubenberg said:
Between the MityVac and what's siting in a plastic bag that also contains my used oil filer, I pulled about TWO QUARTS of oil out of my beloved B5.5. Now, I'm no genius, but I'm fairly certain that this is HALF of what I should be able to get out of it. In the previous two oil changes that I did, I was always able to get about 3.5 qts out. Two seems somehow ...inadequate.
Maybe I'm old-school, but I always check oil levels on all my vehicles every week or two. Doing that (and other inspections) keeps you informed on what's happening with the engine, etc. If you'd done that, you'd know the answer to what the oil problem was.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
traubenberg said:
See, I've used the MV before and I've always drawn out about 3.5 qts or so. I'm doing it the same way I always did and this is the first time this has happened.

Obviously, I'm going to pay *very* close attention to my oil level for the next 5k miles. In fact, I will likely ramp the car next time and do a traditional drain-n-fill for my 30k change. I know exactly how much oil I put in last night, so I have a good idea of how much I should be getting out. If I'm wrong, then ...

Never mind that. Since I know how much I put in, I'm going to continue with the MityVac. If I pull out anything less than 3.5 qts, then I'll ramp the car and see what's left when I pull the drain plug. That'll tell me if I'm eating oil or the MV was a bad investment.
:thumbup: Since you've used the MV before and gotten 3.5 quarts out, getting 2-2.5 quarts out shows somwthing's going on.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Next time be sure to check the level before you start drawing oil out!

A pump should be able to get all the oil, sometimes you just have to wiggle the tube around a bit while pumping to get all the oil. I find I have to do that about a half dozen times before it's all gone. Even when the filter isn't dripping anymore, it holds about 1/4-1/2 quart. Let's say the dealer didn't top it off and then you burned 1/2 quart, and 1/2 quart is left in the filter, and you left a 1/2 quart in the pan by not moving the tube around.

Anyway, even without checking beforehand, how much oil you're able to put back in should solve this puzzle.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember a plethora of posts concerning extractors and the V6 engine. IIRC, there is some sort of an "obstruction" that prevents, or makes it difficult, to get the tube all the way to the bottom of the oil pan, in the V6 - no issues on the 1.8T.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the extractor apparently worked for him 2 previous times, but does raise the issue, again IIRC, that there is a potential problem using extractors with the V6. Maybe it's a hit or miss depending on how the tube snakes down in there, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
DaveW said:
Maybe I'm old-school, but I always check oil levels on all my vehicles every week or two. ...
Sometimes old-school = smart. I check my oil biweekly.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
bi-weakly?

·
Registered
228 Posts
kenblasko said:
Losing 2 to 2.5 quarts of oil is "normal" consumption for a V6 for a OCI of 5k??? I've got 98k on my 2000 V6 and maybe I'm down 1/4 to 1/2 quart, if that, after 5k.
Same here, v6 @ 80k... I will add a 1/4-1/3 qt sometimes between changes (5k) to keep the level above the 'min'-mark. I always check oil levels after a service visit, though, just in case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts