Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the code on my 00 AUG 1.8t "fuel trim bank 1 (add) Sys too lean." I bought the bently Service Manual thinking that's all I needed, but found out today I need the "Factory Manual CD". I don't have time to get one so... can anyone tell me what the CD says I need to replace? Thanks much!! Does anyone have good source for the Bently CD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My MAF is still under warrenty w/ only 4k miles to go. Did you pull the code from the Bentley CD? Also, where are most B5ers finding vacuum leaks if any?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Just the little vacuum hoses-they rot away very quickly and are done at about your car's age. Do a quick visual inspection on them and if any are suspect, replace them. Some are more trouble than others.

The main one is the one that runs down to a valve on the passenger side of the car. The line for it is tucked under a coolant hose that is clipped to the black plastic timing belt cover front and center on the engine. Yours is probably trashed.

Just FYI, VW extended the warranty on MAF sensors for your car to 7/70 because they are so trouble prone. I don't know what mileage you're at so I didn't know if you meant 4k to go to 70 or what.

If I were you, I'd fix any vacuum leaks, THEN take it in and get a free MAF, not clearing the code. The dealer must diagnose it, replace the sensor, and clear the faults under warranty if you're under the 7/70-doesn't matter what owner you are.

As for where I pulled the code, lets just say I have more than a passing familiarity with VW DTCs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sharky,

Thanks partner, you're the only person to respond to my message. I'll check all the hoses you recommended. I did get the service letter about the 70k mileage warrenty, and I'm at 66k now. What great timing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the vacuum leak! Log this one in your guys data banks! The hose just under the overflow reservoir, about 8 inches long "L" shaped. It had a rip in it about 5" long! The inside of the hose was rotted from oil and heat. I'm off to the stealership for this hose unless someone has a good source for this kind of part.
Thanks again Sharky!! :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey 3cargarage, do you have a pic of where the L shaped hose was? I've got a vacuum leak somewhere and I've already replaced the 2 failure-prone lines with no luck. My RPM's bounce around at idle but the car drives fine at speed. The CEL is on and I have the same DTC as you did.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, mines a '99 so does that mean that my hose is better than the 2001+ hose? Guess it's still gonna fail at some point. Maybe now is it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
vwfool2000
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing