Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sad: 2000 GLS 1.8t ATW 5-speed.

Random engine hicup and/or stall with very brief CEL. Never consistant and it usually revs up to stay running and happens very quickly. Happens now and then, again randomly.

Here is what I got with the Vag-com:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too low
P1602 - 35 - 10 --- Intermittent
18258 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ECU
P1850 - 35 - 10 --- Intermittent
01314 - Engine Control Module
49 - 10 No Communications --- Intermittent
01134 - Alarm Horn(H12)
25 - 10 Unkown switch condition - Intermittent

Other problems: locks and truck do not work with remote or door buttons. There is an aftermarket alarm which is incorporated with the stock setup I will be going through today checking for possible bad relays. Cruise control does not work either.

Will all 1.8t's have an ICM? I was reading around and noticed I am missing one from the top of the air box. I know that it has some aftermarket items that I'm still going through but I'm unsure of the chip brand or program on the ECU.

I've searched around but I'm not sure what all of these codes lead me to and I don't have my FSM yet to look things up.

Thanks for your help!
-Cody

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Here's the list from the Bentley manual. Are you sure all of these are new codes, or are some possibly legacy codes. I'd clear them all (also check the TCM codes), and see what is actually new. If the battery code (terminal 30) doesn't come back, then it'll be a little sketchy as to how to diagnose (especially with the aftermarket alarm in the mix). If it does, then that's the first thing you goot figure out. Many of the subsequent codes may come from that first one.

18010 - Common if ECU removed or battery disconnected.

18258 - Ignition has been switched on while transmission control module -J217- was disconnected. Wiring open circuit or short between engine and transmission control module. Incorrect or faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM).

01314 - Malfunction in data transfer from ECM through CAN-bus

01134 - Undefined switch position. Faulty wiring or connectors. Fuse inoperative. Alarm Horn -H12- inoperative.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CLEAR!! More codes....

Alright... so I cleared all codes and the following came back once the car did it's thing:

Forgot to mention this one.... probably because it has been reprogrammed, it won't clear:

01044 Control Module Incorrectly Coded

Any ideas on those two above? :crazy:

-Cody

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DTC CEL probs.... Update

So any idea what to do with these?

If it does it's hicup thing at higher RPM (not idle) it flashes ETC and CEL with a *beep* and sputters for a second then it is fine(doesn't stall). If it happens at idle it will die and sometimes not start right away (just cranks). I played with this a little: Car stalls, I try to start it and it just cranks, turn it off, back on, and wait (w/o cranking) suddenly the ECU "wakes up", fuel pump relay clicks, fuel pump primes, car starts just fine. It's almost like the ECU has a stroke or something and if I'm cuising it can recover if it's at idle it dies and takes a second to "wake up".

Any ideas guys?

Is there a way to tell whos program it has been "chipped" with since the computer looks stock?? (I took the cover off to check the circuit board integrity and it looks stock) I'd like to get a ball park figure on performance but I have no idea what brand chip is has.

Thanks,
-Cody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.