Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancee and I both have a 2002 Passat. I have the W8, she has the 1.8T. Her smartbuy is up in about a year and a half, and today, we drove the car that will replace it.....

2004.5 Volvo S40 T5

We did the Volvo drive event here in Dallas today (I encourage everyone to check the Volvo website and see if it's coming to a town near you). This car is amazing, and not terribly expensive. That 5-cyl turbo pulls like crazy, the torque peaks at 1500 and remains there until 4500. The T5 has the upgraded suspension, it had 18-inch wheels, we drove the auto and manual, both were very responsive.

Acceleration, high speeds, handling, braking, all amazing. Oh, and don't worry about replacing anything with the stereo. 445 watts, 13 speakers, hands down the most impressive factory stereo I've ever heard. 160 watts or so go to the sub and it hits hard.

If you haven't seen he new body style, check it out. Don't get me wrong, we love our Passats, but it looks like next year, we'll be keeping the W8 and putting a T5 next to it.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I stopped beside one in a local Albertson's to check out one. Nice... outside proportions strike me as a bit odd but I love the interior!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
a good looking car (its no 9-3) but I cannot tolerate such a lack of space, for one, and two, the center console stack. Reminds me of a rental car - or a Mazda - or a Ford. oops, sorry - same car!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The center console is a little odd, but they designed the stereo controls to look like a cell phone, because in the final version, you will be able to plug your phone into the car, it somehow can tell what kind of phone and service you have, and the steering wheel will have controls for the phone.

It certainly isn't roomy, I would not want to sit behind me. It's got plenty of trunk space and most of the time, it's just the two of us going somewhere. I'm not buying it for the leg room, the Passat has that, we want something sportier.

Also, sometime 2005, they are going to have the S40R, supposed to be almost 280hp, AWD, mid-$30K price range. Overseas purchase program, here we come.

·
Registered
544 Posts
dridge11 said:
Also, sometime 2005, they are going to have the S40R, supposed to be almost 280hp, AWD, mid-$30K price range. Overseas purchase program, here we come.
As far as I know the S40R is nothing more than a rumor. Where did you hear this? A fully loaded S40 is around $35k ( :shock: ), so the the S40R would have to be at least $37-38k in which case most people would choose the S60R IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would they price the S40R at the same price as the S60R? But, I guess by the time the S40R might be released, the S60R may be a whole different $45K animal.

One of the ACMI techs that tests cars said it was a strong possibility for 2005. The S40 starts at $24K, the T5 version starts at $26K. Loaded, you get up around low $30K.

·
Registered
544 Posts
dridge11 said:
Why would they price the S40R at the same price as the S60R? But, I guess by the time the S40R might be released, the S60R may be a whole different $45K animal.

One of the ACMI techs that tests cars said it was a strong possibility for 2005. The S40 starts at $24K, the T5 version starts at $26K. Loaded, you get up around low $30K.
By the same token, why would they price an S40R at around the same price as a fully loaded S40? You said the S40R would be priced around $35k. I just priced out a fully loaded new S40 on Volvos website and it came out to around $36.5-37k. I realize not many people will order one fully loaded, but it is quite a bit of money for a car that is just slightly bigger than the Jetta. For that kind of money I'd buy an Acura TL or G35x. Better all around performance and a back seat that adults can comfortably sit in.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not trying to discredit the S40 as a good car, but there are just so many other good cars out there in this price range. The A4, TSX, TL, 325i, G35, upcoming Subaru Legacy, etc.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I drove the S40 T5 this weekend and was a little disappointed in some areas, but pleasantly surprised in others. First the bad stuff :wink: ;

- Cheap engine sound: Maybe it's been awhile since I've driven an I5, but I don't remember it sounding like a diesel.

- Interior space is sorely lacking. It's definitely battling the Jetta for shortage of rear seat leg room!

- Small Trunk

- Didn't seem like 218HP, though, I didn't really press the car extremely hard (out of respect, obviously).

- Cheap cup holder design in front. Thin flexible pieces of fabric covered plastic are supposed to hold my Big Gulp securely? :roll:

- Looks like they tried to vacuum form the bigger S60 body onto the smaller S40 chassis (doesn't look bad, just a little odd at some angles).

- A little overpriced for such a small car.

The good stuff :):

- Superb interior! Fit and finish is very good along with the choice of materials. Out of the two Swedish meatball companies, Volvo is definitely doing the better job here. The seats are firm, but comfortable and very supportive. A little snug, but all the better for aggressive driving :wink:.

- Stereo sounded pretty decent for a stock system. Good, deep bass, along with clear mids and crisp highs.

- Nice, clean center console design. Very original design, with pass through/storage area behind it.

- Good dash layout, though I found it less than intuitive to access the trip computer functions.

- Gas strut on the hood!! (big brownie points for me), as well as gas strut supported cantilever trunk. Even BMW (on the new 5 series) has gone over to the "crush arm" design for their trunks as a cost savings measure. It's good to see some companies are still paying attention to details :wink:.

- Nice looking 17" wheels on T5 model.

- Clean engine bay layout, though it looks like doing any major maintenance on that engine will be a pain in the butt.

- It will be available with AWD and a manual for the 2005 model year. :thumbup:

- The FWD car handled very well and was a responsive machine.

Hopefully Volvo's parent (Ford) will see fit to throw some incentives the consumer's way and bring the price down some. If they do, this could be a good competitor for the A4 and Saab 9-3... :thumbup: Obviously, a lot of my critiques are on the details, some of which don't apply to all consumers. These are just the things I look at when I'm test driving car :wink:.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
very nice car i actualy love the interior of the S60R when its in the orange color! :bow:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You guys keep commenting on how small the S40 is, it is almost inch for inch with an A4, deffinatly bigger then a jetta.

As far as power goes, its 218hp and 236 lb/ft, so 2 less hp, and 15 more lb/ft of Torque, in a car that is 340 lbs lighter then the A4. (that is FWD to FWD mind you). Also the trunk is bigger then the A4.

Compared to the Saab 93, the S40 160 lbs lighter, and the saab has 175hp and 195 lb/ft

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t98780&v=t97786&v=t98563

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t98780&v=t97107&v=t98072

-Nick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought it had plenty of power. SentraSR20 didn't press it hard out of respect....f-that, I was getting after it, pedal to the floor! :lol:

I thought it had a little more room in the back than a Jetta, and way more power than the other cars they compared it to. The also rolled in a BMW 325, Audi A4, and an Acura TSX. I would also throw the Mercedes C230 Kompressor into the ring. Performance wise, the T5 blows them away at a price comparable to or less than all of the others.

·
Registered
544 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
You guys keep commenting on how small the S40 is, it is almost inch for inch with an A4, deffinatly bigger then a jetta.-Nick
Well, if you want to be technical, the A4 has an interior volume of 90.1 vs. 87 for the Jetta so the difference between a Jetta and an A4 isn't very much. For comparison, my Passat has an interior volume of 95. The S40 has .3 inch more headroom than the Jetta (front and rear) and .1 inch more front legroom and .9 inch more rear legroom. The reason why the S40 has relatively large exterior proportions to the Jetta/A4 is the fact that its trunk is bigger than either one. Bigger trunk = less room for occupants. So, I repeat, the S40 is NOT much bigger than a Jetta (at least not on the inside). 8)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Tackhouse - Go sit in one and drive it, you'll understand... :wink:

With the driver's seat adjusted to fit my 5'11", 190Lbs frame I was amazed at the lack of rear leg room. The 2002+ A4 definitely was cramped in the backseat when I drove it, but it did have more room than the S40, no matter how miniscule the advantage was! :)

I didn't push the car very much, I only took it up to about 4000 RPM as it had less than 25 total miles on it. For what it's worth, it did feel like it had more to give if I pushed it, but I could definitely feel some (not huge) turbo lag while down low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts