Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, it is a very nice car. Alot bigger interior than the passat, but it is lacking power, maybe because of DBW. It has 200 plus hp, and a smooth CVT transmission taken from VolVo, plus it had the haldex all wheel drive. I pushed it through all the corners on the innovation drive corse, never hit a cone, smelled alot of tire afterwards, but the car handled well. It just did not want to take off very fast, so we just floored it everywhere. I dont really have complaints about it, i would have liked to take my passat on the track to get a better comparison, but all in all its a very good american car, if only they can compete with the larger engine 300. Ford also put on a nice display and I got to see the GT actually moving.

·
Registered
428 Posts
blackfocus, there was a '05 Focus ST on display (though we couldn't drive it at the event). Personally, I prefer the styling of the '00-'04 (plus you could get the 2.3L engine in the hatchback for '04). The Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Super Duty F-Series truck were available for driving.
The Ford Racing driving events coming up will also have the '05 Mustang available for driving. :thumbup:
http://www.fordinnovationdrive.com/home.htm

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CVT, ford told us that its a 15 year old system taken from Volvo, whether or not they told us the truth I dont really know, alot of dealer people were concerned though at the thought of working on them. It uses one belt made up of thousands of metal pieces and the sides that hold it in move in or out. WE did not see any focus in Cleveland(where the event was), just the GT, new mustang, and a bunch of freestyle's. I also got a free hat :thumbup: .

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
if ford put the V6 from the lincoln LS in there, I Think they would have a winner.

Damn that thing has the side profile of a Passat.... :crazy:

-Nick
the LS is a north-south motor i think, probably wouldn't easily work in the east-west taurus, especially when they've got the proven(?) duratec

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Medrosje said:
TAckhouse1 said:
if ford put the V6 from the lincoln LS in there, I Think they would have a winner.

-Nick
the LS is a north-south motor i think, probably wouldn't easily work in the east-west taurus, especially when they've got the proven(?) duratec
I agree that the Duratec is proven, but it needs bump in power, all its competitors are offering atleast a 220hp V6. Ford has this brand new car, and sadels it with an old engine.

I am aware of the different engine layouts, but it is possible to convert the eingine for FWD and RWD use. Nissan does it with its 3.5L V6, and GM is even doing it, with its new global 3.6, thats rides north south in the Caddie's, and east west in the new couple new Buicks.

-Nick

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Medrosje said:
TAckhouse1 said:

-Nick
I agree that the Duratec is proven, but it needs bump in power, all its competitors are offering atleast a 220hp V6. Ford has this brand new car, and sadels it with an old engine.

I am aware of the different engine layouts, but it is possible to convert the eingine for FWD and RWD use. Nissan does it with its 3.5L V6, and GM is even doing it, with its new global 3.6, thats rides north south in the Caddie's, and east west in the new couple new Buicks.

-Nick
Vw does it with the VR6(Toureg.MkIV) and 1.8T(B5/MkIV).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.