Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drop-in replacements for either a single-DIN single CD player in-dash, or for the 6-disc changer in the trunk, that support playing MP3 on CD-R (RW)? I know Panasonic had at least one changer model that was a perfect match in terms of physical installation and pin-compatible with the OEM changer....

Ugh, I'm wondering now if that would even work. The HU doesn't NEED to be mp3-compatible, since the CD player would output analog sound, but I would guess the display is limited to 99 tracks, since that's the max for a regular CD. It certainly wouldn't display the track ID info, which is fine, but if it can't deal with tracks higher than 99 that would be problematic.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you want to add on to your existing factory radio you can look at the VW phatnoise or the Alpine CHA-s634 CD changer with a compatible adapter to make it operate in your car.

The other route to go is replacing the factory radio all together, if that's your option then the possiblities are endless... :eek:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the PhatNoise PhatBox and it is *awesome*. Made my XM buddy jealous. :D
When you have that many tracks on a CD (about 150 HQ songs), it's difficult to find the artist/album you're looking for. Not with the PhatBox; If I'm listening to "Air" and want to switch to "The Crystal Method" a couple of button pushes and it's playing.
I cannot give this device enough credit. The engineers/developers really put some thought into this.
cheers :beer:

·
Registered
468 Posts
There's only 2 digits for track number on the Monsoon so the track number shown on the HU wraps around from 99 to 1. I hardly pay attention to that aspect because the PhatBox announces track information audibly.
You can certainly have more than 99 tracks. :suspicio: I have well into the 4 digits.
Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can certainly have more than 99 tracks on an MP3 CD, the question becomes how does the stock (Monsoon in my particular case) handle tracks 100 and up. If it wraps that's alright, but you are correct that it'll be a pain to keep track/switch tracks, whereas with a phatbox you can jump from folder to folder, etc. If you can't address/play tracks over 99 that's no good at all.

Thanks for the input, and I'll take a look at the alpine JokerPassat.... and start reading up on the Phatbox too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have installed the Alpine and I own the phatbox as well. I would say my best choice would be the phatbox. The nice thing about it is that if you just want to add a couple of songs to your phat box, no problem. With the Alpine or any MP3 CD changer or MP3 CD player you would have to burn a whole new CD.

Phatbox is my choice! :thumbup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here's a question related to the Phatbox...or I guess the "Phatnoise".

Let's say I buy the "Phat" system that will work with my Monsoon HU. Fine. Then some day I decide to swap out the HU for something else. Will it still work or does the connector only connect to a Monsoon HU?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JokerPassat said:
With the Alpine or any MP3 CD changer or MP3 CD player you would have to burn a whole new CD.
That's why I would use CD-RWs :) Although you do have to close the session (so you can't literally add a couple tracks), it's not a big deal to just re-burn a disc after adding some tracks. A 6-disc changer with CD-RWs (a 6-pack of 4x write speed ones are < $10) would work pretty well for me. Of course a phatbox would probably work better, but probably more of a pain to deal with if it ever stops working.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The connector for the phatbox will only work with whatever system you buy it for. There are systems for VW, sony, kenwood, H&K trafficpro, and the list goes on. You can find out more info here http://www.phatnoise.com

I honestly tried what you did using CDRW's and it was nice at first but after I got my phatbox I'd never go back. I even sold my phatbox at one time and ended up buying it back because I missed it so much. Seriously consider it, it is probably THE best investment I have ever made for my car. More worth it to me then even a performance chip!

·
Registered
50 Posts
teknubic said:
I have the PhatNoise PhatBox and it is *awesome*. Made my XM buddy jealous. :D
When you have that many tracks on a CD (about 150 HQ songs), it's difficult to find the artist/album you're looking for. Not with the PhatBox; If I'm listening to "Air" and want to switch to "The Crystal Method" a couple of button pushes and it's playing.
I cannot give this device enough credit. The engineers/developers really put some thought into this.
I'm still wondering is it possible to address beyond 99-th song using the HU buttons

leobg

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is not that important what HU will display - the thing that bothers me is if I push 'next song' on HU while I'm on 99-th will it start playing song number 100 (no matter what display says) or it will cycle and begin again from song 1

thanks

leobg

·
Registered
468 Posts
leobg said:
I'm still wondering is it possible to address beyond 99-th song using the HU buttons
leobg
With the PhatBox, yes. The display will only handle up to 99 and then wrap around but it will really be track 100, 101, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
JokerPassat said:
With the Alpine I believe it will cycle back to track 1 but with the phatbox it will continue on to track 100 and then 101 and so on. E-mail tech support at phatnoise and they'd be glad to help ya out. Oh yeah, I don't work for them but I really do like their products.
With the alpine if you are on 99 it will cycle to 100, then 101 although it will display 1, 2, etc..It will play as many tracks as you have on a CD. Most of my CDs have between 130 - 150 tracks and it plays them fine sequentially or in mix mode. This is using a Blitzsafe adapter; I can't speak for how the PIE one works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.