Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another post that he had an euro switch, but when switched on DRL, the headlight comes on 80% and the drl doesnt light up unless you turn on the headlights. this is similar to what i am going through. i have a b5.5 and swapped a few bulbs, did the w8 roof light mod. not sure
-i dont have an euro switch-
when it started happening but:

when car is off, and i switch on the headlight, the drl comes on.
when car is on, and light is off (default), the headlight lights up 80%, drl is off.
when car is on, switch to headlight, headlight lights up 100% while drl is on.
nothing wrong with the fogs. any ideas?

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. sorry for the confusion. you know by default when you have the switch off, the DRL comes on, which is the w5w bulbs.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
the w5w is the city light and it comes on with the head lights when the car is running and will stay on if the car is shut off along with the side markers and tail lights.

The DRL are the low beams and in mine ( 2003) run 100% all the time.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. but i've seen other 5.5's driving around during the day with only w5w's on... i am just concerned about the lifespan of my lowbeans if they are on all the time.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
ycharlies said:
thanks for the info. but i've seen other 5.5's driving around during the day with only w5w's on... i am just concerned about the lifespan of my lowbeans if they are on all the time.
In Canada its the law .. I haven't lost one yet

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
ycharlies said:
Yes, this is possible, with a Euroswitch. The Euroswitch adds another position for the rotary switch that the OEM North American switch doesn't have. For sake of clarity, let's call that position the "Parking Lights" position.

So, by using a Euroswitch, and taping over the appropriate tabs on the back of the euroswitch to give you as much control as possible (i.e., deactivating the DRL's), you can have the following (all assuming the car is running and in gear):

1) Position 1 - Off: All lights are off (no DRL's).
2) Rotating the switch to position 2 (parking lights position): All headlights are off, but the city lights are lit as are your taillights.
2 a) Same as #2, but pulling the switch out one notch: City lights, taillights and front fog lights will be lit.
2 b) Same as #2, but pulling the switch out to the second notch: City lights, taillights, front foglights, and rear foglights will be lit (if you have done the mod to install rear fogs).
3) Rotating the switch to position 3: Headlights, taillights and city lights will be lit.
3 a & b) As in #2 above, but headlights will also be on.

HTH.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
DRL's are the low beams and yes they are on at 80% capacity.

The peanut bulbs are your city lights. You had those confused. B5.5's that have just the city lights on have a Euroswitch installed and the DRLs have just been disbled via the switch or relay.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah i c. this is great info. i dont have an eruo switch though. didnt feel the need to get one especially when i have a long wishlist of other things... should the citylight be on while my oem switch is in off position?

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how bright are these rear fogs anyway? anyone got the finished results? i would love to see this.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
ycharlies said:
ah i c. this is great info. i dont have an eruo switch though. didnt feel the need to get one especially when i have a long wishlist of other things... should the citylight be on while my oem switch is in off position?
The OEM switch only has two positions. "On" and "Off". It's the Euroswitch that adds the extra position, that I called "parking."

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are you referring to the yellow light on the left? will they be on the entire time you swtich it on?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
ycharlies said:
are you referring to the yellow light on the left? will they be on the entire time you swtich it on?
Confused here what yellow light on the left? In the front? Those side markers come on when the switch is turned to on in the regular switch or City lights or on in the Euro.

The pic above is the rear fog you asked for.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are the rear fogs lit up in the pic? i know it's supposed to be the bottom semicircle, right? sorry.. i am so new to this topic. never really researched it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
5 Participants
scox1235
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing