Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VWoA replaced a friend's engine under goodwill warranty, but they admonished him that he had damaged the engine by driving with the EPC light on. He asked me if I knew how he could have caused the engine damage simply by driving with EPC on, and whether he should sell the car while it was still working with the new engine, and I admitted he had me stumped. From everything I read here and elsewhere, EPC is a catch-all for a number of different system failures and sensor errors, in the throttle, MAFS, and other engine systems, as well as ABS, steering, and various other non-engine functions. It sounds a bit like a Check Engine Light on steroids.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

My pre-facelift 2001 Passat wagon is just old enough not to have an EPC light, but my 2016 Golf Sportwagen has one, as does my elder son's 2002 A4 Quattro, so I am looking for an education here.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,177 Posts
I must admit I don't have a definitive answer for everything that can cause an EPC light; but nothing I know of causes engine damage. In fact, I'm pretty sure it doesn't trigger on half the things you mention, like ABS or steering. It is, after all ENGINE Power Control. I drove a couple of months with an intermittant EPC (engine speed sensor) with no ill effect.

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
I doubt it was simply due to the EPC light, as the dealer would never have agreed to replace the engine if they found the owner at fault. A flashing CEL is another story. Since the car has a new engine, he should keep it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts