Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I haven't done it yet. But with highway construction season starting up, I would rather have the info readily available, should it happen. Otherwise I would have to fly home, jump on the computer, and ask you all as it dries, or dried, on my car. So, does anyone have experience, tips or tricks for what to do ASAP when you know you drove over wet paint? Also, does anyone know of any remedy if it dries before you get a chance to work it off? This doesn't specifically apply only to line paint. Same goes for the half-full gallon of house paint some jackass puts at the curb, then gets crushed in the garbage truck and spills all over the road. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated by most, I'm sure. Thanks. Joe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When the highway paint crew was staying at an uncle's motel he got them to paint the hotel brilliant yellow. Perhaps for a case of beer you could.... :lol: Then it would not show! :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I second the bug/tar remover. Also, not washing your car helps -- paint wont stick as well to a dirty surface. :weirdo:

Highway line paint is not the same as housepaint -- it's thicker and starts curing fairly quickly. Just don't wait too long to get the paint off and you should be okay.

--You could always spray the lower valences with pam every morning if you're really worried about it. Then the paint will slide right off. :poke:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the serious, and light hearted, responses. I think that stuff is pretty hard within about 10 minutes. I was just wondering if anyone got some yellow roostertails on the side of their cars, free of charge, and what they did about it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
on my black jetta I ran over some wet cement that drained down the street during some highway construction. Well, I didn't realize it wasn't mud after all until I got home and it was dry. I got some of it off and a few blisters later.... It's still on it :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had some on my car last year. It was splattered all over the side of my car. I spent about an hour with several of my fingernails scraping it off. To scared to use anything else. It's still in the wheel wells but it is off the side of my car.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
with the line paint if you let it dry and cure, it will be almost impossible to get off, so get some paint thinner or something of that nature and a rag and keep it in your car. if you go at it right after it happens you will be able to get it off. do the texture plastic/rubber first caus it sinks into that surface faster :nervous: :thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
A lady in Toronto had the same situation recently where paint was at the side of her car and wheel wells. She sued the city and got money for the repairs. Not bad, eh?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
vwjedi said:
on my black jetta I ran over some wet cement that drained down the street during some highway construction. Well, I didn't realize it wasn't mud after all until I got home and it was dry. I got some of it off and a few blisters later.... It's still on it :(
Cement is worse than paint. Never, never, never drive behind a mixer truck.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I manage a Sherwin Williams and we sell a waterbourne traffic paint called setfast. It cures very quickly to avoid these situations. It is waterbased, but would still be a real PITA if you drive over it wet. Honestly though, that stuff will dry almost instantly.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Clay Bar is the stuff to use on those situations. I removed overspray paint off of 3 different vehicles and road paint off of another one. Make sure you use it a directed and use a spray bottle to spray water over the surface you are working on. Always make sure the area is wet as well as the clay before rubbing. You'll need to follows with wax of course since the clay will take that off as well :lol: . It is a lot of work , takes an average of 3/4 hour just to do the whole vehicle. Let's just hope you won't have too :thumbup: .................Rah........ :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Locally, they are on their spring painting campaign now, it really shows up on a black car!

Chip off what you can with a fingernail, and get the rest with a clay bar or good washing. That paint does not stick too well on waxed surfaces.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would suggest waxing your car with NuFinish or another Teflon-based car polish. NOTHING sticks to the car once it has a nice, thick coat of this stuff. After I did my hood, I couldn't even set the bottle of it on the flattest section of the hood... it would slowly slide off because the Teflon coating was so slippery.

This stuff is even better:

West Marine Products

If you at least put this on the doors and sills, you'll have no problem with that stuff sticking. Once it was on my hood, even bird poop was removed as easy as grabbing a napkin and wiping... works well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts