Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<disclaimer>I already searched, I am the search master. Hence my extremely low post count for over 100 years as a member</disclaimer>

Does anyone know of any driving light kits or what is the best way to set something up on my Passat? I don't have the factory fog lights and I don't want fogs. I want something that will shoot a beam far ahead of me to help illuminate the road. I live in So Cal so fog is not common. But when I drive at night, I want more light output ahead of me. I like the fact that we have the beam cutoff so it doens't blind anyone, but it annoys me sometimes when I drive at night because I can't see too much ahead of me. Just for example, Friday night I drove up the mountains and if I didn't grow up on those roads, I probably would have driven off the road because I couldn't see jack. Unless I had the brights on, then I could see perfectly. And my headlights do work fine, I have the Osram Silverstar bulbs and they are bright. I just need something to throw more light farther ahead of me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA :thumbup:

:edit:
I know I can go down and buy some cheap set at the local auto parts store. But I also want to keep my car lookng nice. That is why I am asking for anyone who has done this or has any ideas. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
A lot of our european member seem to ahve some sets, might wanna go down to that forum for insperation

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are some kits that replace the lower grills but I believe those are only foglights. Besides, the lower grills are poor placement for a set of good driving lights which need to be higher.

Might be able to convert the foglight section a headlight assembly into driving lights and move the foglights down to the lower grill. I'd definately use relays to handle all that current. Control the driving lights with the second postion (rear fog) of a Euro switch or mayby use the blank switch postion the center console (Use a German Taxi switch)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
<disclaimer>I already searched, I am the search master. Hence my extremely low post count for over 100 years as a member</disclaimer>

Does anyone know of any driving light kits or what is the best way to set something up on my Passat? I don't have the factory fog lights and I don't want fogs. I want something that will shoot a beam far ahead of me to help illuminate the road. I live in So Cal so fog is not common. But when I drive at night, I want more light output ahead of me. I like the fact that we have the beam cutoff so it doens't blind anyone, but it annoys me sometimes when I drive at night because I can't see too much ahead of me. Just for example, Friday night I drove up the mountains and if I didn't grow up on those roads, I probably would have driven off the road because I couldn't see jack. Unless I had the brights on, then I could see perfectly. And my headlights do work fine, I have the Osram Silverstar bulbs and they are bright. I just need something to throw more light farther ahead of me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA :thumbup:

:edit:
I know I can go down and buy some cheap set at the local auto parts store. But I also want to keep my car lookng nice. That is why I am asking for anyone who has done this or has any ideas. Thanks again.
http://www.pgperformance.com/old/vwfogs.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I use HID Xenon 6000k for my low beam and HID Xenon 4300k for my High Beam... It's really bright.... I'd say 10x brighter than regular bulbs... U can get it on eBay, H7 Conversion kit... About $300 a pair x 2 = $600 (THIS IS THE EXPENSIVE BRAND)... The cheaper brand is about $180 a pair x 2 = $360...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
There are some kits that replace the lower grills but I believe those are only foglights. Besides, the lower grills are poor placement for a set of good driving lights which need to be higher.

Might be able to convert the foglight section a headlight assembly into driving lights and move the foglights down to the lower grill. I'd definately use relays to handle all that current. Control the driving lights with the second postion (rear fog) of a Euro switch or mayby use the blank switch postion the center console (Use a German Taxi switch)
He could always buy the grilles and install a set of driving light projectors in them. Besides, if he put the driving lights higher, they'd have the same effect as highbeams.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Are you lowered? I had the same problem with poor visibility after Nuespeed sport springs, or maybe more noticeable problem; I got brighter bulbs like you and compensated for the drop by redirecting the beam a little higher, which seem to solve the problem. I also installed oem fogs and put in piaa ion yellows and directed those higher, which doesn't honestly do much for clear night driving.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Just be careful. In California, you're allowed to mount two additional "driving lamps" between 16" and 42" off the road, but they are used for "supplementing the upper beam (high beam) from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam (low beam)."

(State of California Motor Vehicle Code 24402.a)

You may, however, mount a pair of "passing lamps" (which I've always associated with motorcycles) on the front of a motor vehicle between 24" and 42" and they are allowed to be lit with the low beam headlights.

(State of California Motor Vehicle Code 24402.b)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts