Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was T-boned by a deer in April '05 (car was 6 months old - argh!). The driver's side door skin was replaced (internals retained). Upon picking the car up from dealer body shop I had a loud whiste in my left ear. The car was essentially silent re: wind noise when I first bought it. Took it back to the shop and they re-aligned the door and window. All OK.

About 4 months later I started getting the whistle again. I lived with it for awhile. When it got to be too bad, I found out about the "grub nut" under the front hinge, lifted the door (it was sagging) and tightened the nut. Noise was minimized, but still there. The problem is that I can't tell where along the window the noise is coming from - the front, center or back! Additionally, when the weather is warm (about 70 or above), the window rubs / binds on something - probably the weatherstripping - when actuated. It makes an "erk, erk, erk" sound. Besides the annoyance, I'm concerned that over time teh binding may cause propblems with the drive motor, cables, window clips, etc.

Fast forward to this week. I had the car at the dealer for other work and asked them to look at the door / window. They tightened up all the hinge bolts. The wind noise is minimized again (but still there), and the door operates more smoothly. Re: the window binding - they stated that they "lubricated the weatherstripping". I asked them why they didn't take the door skin off and fix whetever the problem is, but they said "that's all we do for these cases". Of course, the binding / noise is still there.

I'm planning to take it back to the body shop and have them do whatever it was they did the last time to make it silent. Before doing so, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any suggestions for DIY fixes for the whistle and binding? One thing I have thought of is to close some paper in the window and see if there's any gaps - like testing refrigerator seals.

TIA!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Rochacha said:
I was T-boned by a deer in April '05 (car was 6 months old - argh!). The driver's side door skin was replaced (internals retained). Upon picking the car up from dealer body shop I had a loud whiste in my left ear. The car was essentially silent re: wind noise when I first bought it. Took it back to the shop and they re-aligned the door and window. All OK. ....

Besides the annoyance, I'm concerned that over time teh binding may cause propblems with the drive motor, cables, window clips, etc.

TIA!
What internals are you referring to? The drive motor, cables, window clips etc... are all one part. The window regulator can be purchased from the stealership without the motor for about $140 IIRC. You can't just buy the clips and cables separately. I would have them replace the regulator if they haven't, because they do go bad. If you have had damage to the door, it is probably compromised.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the interior door trim off this weekend per my Bentley (not too hard) and tried to adjust the window glass in the channel - no improvement. :p Noted that the bolts for the window clamps weren't too tight, and there was "play" in the window when I loosened them. Guess I'll have to take it to the dealer body shop to see if they can make it better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts