Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this car for 800 bucks, I wanted something to wrench on and boy have I found it :lol: I have already replaced both valve cover gaskets as they were leaking pretty bad. When I purchased this vehicle the man I bought it from said he changed to drivers side CV Axel, and from the pictures you can see that it appears to be leaking from the flange or that general area. It is transmission fluid its leaking and noticed the transmission not shifting properly so I parked it until I could further explore it. I am planning on ordering the bently manual next week but is there something he could have done or not done that would have caused this leak, I have seen on other forums and post that there are special tools required to remove and properly set seals. I was just wondering what the possible issues could be and if there was a write of for the drivers side as many are for passenger side. Every where else on the transmission is dry with no sign of leakage including the passenger side.

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Metal

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, hopefully the trans fluid is just low and shifting problems will be corrected if you just add some. Changing the axle should have no effect on the flange seal, assuming he didn't try to pull it out without removing the bolts :rolleyes: All of the action should occur on the wheel side, not the flange/tranny side. Anyways, the flange seal could be leaking regardless, although this is not a common problem in my experience.

Try adding fluid to see if that fixes the shifting problem. There is no sense in replacing the flange seal if the transmission is failing and can't be fixed!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
:icon_eek:
You've got oil everywhere on that side, at least the way the picture shows.
If you've got the time, I would clean, pressure wash or whatever, the whole area and then try and identify exactly where that oil is coming from.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'd try changing that seal, and then draining/refilling the trans. My opinion; get a couple of gallon jugs of Valvoline MaxLife ATF from Wal Mart or wherever you prefer, then drain and refill according to the proper procedure. Best approach is to drop the trans pan (27 screws, so use a power drill to speed it up) and change the filter, usually about $25. Bu you have got to do this operation by the book so to speak, otherwise the fill level won't be right.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have already replaced both valve cover gaskets as they were leaking pretty bad....
The most common cause of leaking valve cover gaskets is a gunked-up PCV system. The PCV system gets clogged with age, and instead of the usual small vacuum in the engine spaces then permits pressure, which pushes oil right out. It's a good bet that the PCV system on your '02 needs to be replaced. If the VCGs start leaking again soon, you'll know what to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the feedback
ylwagon - yeah I already got a plan my ramps are to tall to pull on all at one time so ill pull the front on and then jack the back up and place the ramps under them. something about wrenching on a car lifted that high on two jack stand has me sketched out.
PZ - thanks just what I was looking for
dbrick- thanks ill looking that as well

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
as mentioned in majority of previous posts is the "proper procedure", trans., filter, and filling not difficult to do/maintenance, but being methodical and following the procedure is imperative....step by step...... oh yes, what is year,model, and engine ,code helps all too.?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
We sold that one a few months ago, in fact tomorrow we are going to the our buyer's open house (kept on decent terms despite doing a sale-by-owner deal). Fallbrook is about 70 miles away, and backs up to the Camp Pendleton Marine base, so we see and hear those noisy tilt-rotor Ospreys fairly often. The YL place was a basic small tract house with a small yard, the FB one is comparatively secluded with more land.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as mentioned in majority of previous posts is the "proper procedure", trans., filter, and filling not difficult to do/maintenance, but being methodical and following the procedure is imperative....step by step...... oh yes, what is year,model, and engine ,code helps all too.?

My grandfather was a mechanic and taught me at a very young age anything worth doing is worth doing right, but tit is a 2002 Passat v6 and the only code that pops up is coolant temp sensor p0177 but I have a blue driver and haven't found anything to say whether this is sufficient for VW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
B5 to B5.5 happened in the middle of 2001 model year. For the trans seal I would look for the 3 letter code on the trans stamped on a metal plate. I don't know the code for a V6 but for a 1.8 a typical trans code would be EZS. Here's a picture of what to look for VWVortex.com - FS: B5 FWD Automatic Transmission ZF 5HP-19

EZS is a 1.8t trans and I know some of the axles are different between V6 and 1.8t so I'd order the seals based on the trans code. Once you know that it should be easy to find the right part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.