Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 GLX

Just had the glass portion fall off :icon_eek: Need to replace it. It chipped so it needs to be replaced. Suggestions please?

It is a heated mirror if that makes a difference in the suggestions for the glass. Can I replace just the glass? What prep work is involved?

It appears there is a very thin dark colored layer of something left on the plastic piece where the mirror is adhered too.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Suggestions please?
Dealer only or used would be my suggestion. The part is a heated mirror element. The heated portion that's still attached to your mirror housing can be removed by prying it off the adjustment mechanism retainer with a screwdriver.

3B1 857 521 A Left (US Driver's side)
3B1 857 522 A Right

If you don't have ~$50 for a new part, use some 3M double-sided (reddish orange) emblem tape to attach the glass back to the adjust. mech. (like I did on my AEB). Your mirror obviously won't defrost if you take this route.

·
Registered
20 GTI S
888 Posts
Thank you.

I wasn't sure if a special glass and adhesive was needed to conduct the heat better. The glass came out as 1 piece and chipped when it hit the ground.
The glass loosened up on both mirrors on my 2002. I separated the glass from the black plastic mount piece and cleaned up both pieces, then used Gorilla glue to stick them back together. The left side was repaired 2 years ago and is still holding and the heat still works. I just did the right side last month.

Since my glass wasn't damaged, I didn't have to look for a replacement. I'm not sure if you can get just replacement glass, or if you have to buy it with the mount attached already.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've bought replacement glass only for heated mirrors from ebay with good results but that was for a B4. I doubt B5 glass is different. My junkyards don't care if the glass is heated or not so I'd just grab the entire glass/backing assembly if you need one.

You do know that the heat is on when the adjuster switch is in the middle position right? I don't know if that would age the glue faster but thought I'd mention it.

I think any thin adhesive will conduct heat fairly readily and it won't get that hot so don't sweat that detail. Just prep both surfaces per the instructions for your adhesive and glue the new glass back on and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the replies!!!

One other thing.

Can anything be tightened up to fix the mirror from vibrating from the music. It's gotten much worse since I temporarily re attached the current mirror using a couple dabs of caulk. I'm thinking this temp fix is the cause of it vibrating more but it vibrated before.

Thank you

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes, I have been using those blind spot mirrors and like them. I work 2nd shift so I really appreciate the tinting to the mirror at nite. For some people the 1/4 asperical mirror portion on the outside edge bothers them and they do not like it. You can do this with stock mirrors to achieve the same effect: How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

I have been using the mirrors since 2008, installed about 2 months after I bought the car. They are starting to delaminate at the edges, so I am thinking of replacing them this year.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Can anything be tightened up to fix the mirror from vibrating from the music. It's gotten much worse since I temporarily re attached the current mirror using a couple dabs of caulk. I'm thinking this temp fix is the cause of it vibrating more but it vibrated before.
The short answer is the best you can probably do is to balance the glass as much as possible. I'd try a very thin layer of silicone to attach the mirror and keep it as uniform as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AutoZone has 'direct fit' replacement glass, but you have to order it. If I remember right, they want $64 for the heated one. They also have some for a lot less, but it's a 'chrome' backing instead of the usual mirror.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems $50 bucks is ~ the going rate as I have looked Online and at a local glass shop. I think I am simply going to go to the glass shop. 30 min in and out. I asked if I could just buy the glass and they install it as the cost reflects that.

BTW. Somewhere along the way I had gotten away with not having the mirrors adjusted correctly. Looked at Germanguy link. Adjusted mine and no more blind spots :thumbup:

Try it!!!!! Might take some getting used to if you are used to seeing the ass of your car but totally worth it..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.