Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my commute I attempted to adjust my seat forward one notch on its track. But after releasing the lever at the right bottom front of the seat, it wouldn't catch and hold a "notch" on the track. It finally found one and is tenuously staying there, but that was after several miles of driving with me having to hold myself in place by the steering wheel (and boy are my arms tired...). Whatever the problem is hasn't been solved, I'm sure, so I'm going to have to remove the seat tonight when I get home. If anyone has any clue what I should look for when I get under there, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm the only one whose had this problem???

Well, I solved and (I think) fixed the problem. There's a mechanism underneath the seat that rides along the center track. That track has numerous holes in it that correspond to the various seat-track positions, and the mechanism has a metal pin (about 1/4" diameter) that springs into whatever hole you select. It retracts when you pull the front adjustment lever so you can move the seat. That bolt rides partly in a plastic body that apparently has a spring it, and partly in a metal sleeve that guides it into the track holes. The pin and metal sleeve are coated from the factory with some kind of grease. Well my problem was that the factory grease had gotten gummy and stiff over time, and our little cold snap over the weekend and this morning must have pushed its viscosity just far enough to keep the pin from being pushed into the track holes by the spring. I bet the reason I was finally able to lock it into a position is that I had the heat on and it got just warm enough to barely work.

So my solution was to remove the flat-steel clip that holds the plastic body in and take the pin and mechanism out. Then I used mineral spirits and rag to clean all the old grease off the pin and a number of q-tips to clean the grease out of the metal barrel (that was not removed from the track carriage). I then slathered on a bunch of lithium spray grease. The can says it won't gum up, so I hope it's right! For now it's working well. If it messes up again in the future, I'll need to find a better grease.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ya... just had the same problem last week. I used lithium spray grease on the pin you speak of. Didn't do the disassembly and subsequent clean-up but am hoping the grease holds its own for awhile.

Dan

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I love this forum. This thread helped me big time today. Driver seat would not stay in chosen position. Moved it all the way back, sprayed some lithium grease in the locking pin and cylinder, worked the adjustment lever and voila.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hadn't seen this thread, but I had to do the same a few weeks back. Like many others the large spring that aides in fore-aft adjustment was broken on my car as well. So definitely a scary moment as I went to move my seat back one click and it slid all the way back so I couldn't reach the pedals.

I still might shop around for some power leather seats partly for the finer adjustment of the seating position. I find that the combination of the long clutch pedal travel, high release, and my short legs means I have to be in a very specific position to be able to feel the clutch release point and also throw it to the floor comfortably. I'm finding myself wishing the fore-aft adjustment detentes were spaced more closely. Replacing the grey cloth on my reflex silver waggie with black leather would be an aesthetic improvement too...*sigh*...it never ends.

·
Registered
971 Posts
How is that exactly? The specific problem I'm having is with the limitations of the fore-aft adjustment. The manual is limited by where the holes are for the pin, a power seat can stop anywhere within its range.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awesome..I've had this problem for a yeasr nowe and just would tyel people not to move the seat..lol..I'll work on it when it gets warmer outside. I don't have a garage..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts