Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 wagon (5.5 body) and on the way to work mirror cover popped off. 3 questions, would the cover from a 99 fit and if not, is the cover available separately? If separate isn't an option, easiest way to tell if heated/no heated( don't see any indication on the mirror itself).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure if one from a 99 will fit (check the online parts fiches to determine). I did, however, replace just the cover on my passenger side mirror as it was cracked and missing a small chunk when I acquired the car (2002 1.8T). I got an OEM replacement cover from ebay, and had it paint matched by a good, local bodyshop. It came in white and I'm not sure you an get them in any color except white. In any case, it turned out really well -- almost too well, as the paint on the mirror is a bit nicer than the rest of the car, lol.

Removing the old one wasn't that hard; it took a good amount of force, but as it was already broken you didn't have to worry about breaking it any more. Matter of fact, I broke off a few more chunks to make it easier. Installing the new cover was a little worrisome as it takes a decent amount of force to get all the clips to snap into place, but I was able to successfully install without any issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your mirror control switch has a "heat" symbol between the left- and right-side control positions, then it's heated. FYI, don't leave the heat on in the summer, it can get so hot that the mirror lens falls off of the plastic mount. Ask me how I know that. Also, since your outer mirror cover is off, you should also be able to clearly see the plastic mirror mount. If it has two wires connected to the out edge of the mirror mount, those are the heater power wires. I don't know about years that would fit, but ebay has plenty of replacements available. I had to pick one up myself after a sideswipe while parked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If your mirror control switch has a "heat" symbol between the left- and right-side control positions, then it's heated. FYI, don't leave the heat on in the summer, it can get so hot that the mirror lens falls off of the plastic mount. Ask me how I know that. Also, since your outer mirror cover is off, you should also be able to clearly see the plastic mirror mount. If it has two wires connected to the out edge of the mirror mount, those are the heater power wires. I don't know about years that would fit, but ebay has plenty of replacements available. I had to pick one up myself after a sideswipe while parked.
Good point B5 Money Pit -- I had forgotten that some of the mirrors were heated. Mine aren't so I didn't mention it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I think I have a cover from a 99 at home, but looks like that doesn't fit. Didn't notice I had a heat icon on my switch until today (it comes on automatically with the rear defrost?). The lower portion (black section) is actually cracked so I think that I might need to get and entire unit now that I look at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.