Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the guy who just bought my car went to adjust the seat before he drove off with it, and started to adjust the seat. manual seats are in the car. he went to move it forward a bit, and the latch will not catch so the seat is sliding forward and backward without catching.

it's pretty cold here right now (<20 degrees F), so I think it might be a pawl being too cold to spring into place. I put a light with an incandescent trouble light in the car to heat it up to see if it will warm up and catch. ideas other than that? I never bothered to look to see how the mechanism works...

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
On my A4, there is a horizontal plunger that is moved by the adjustment lever, which locks the sliding seat. There is also a tension spring to hold the plunger in the locked position, perhaps the spring broke, or the grease gummed up. WD-40 time? Wow, about 20F sure sounds cold. Mid 70's here today.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like I have to pull the seat out of the car, then... wish I had a pix of it before I got started to see how it works. the bentley doesn't break it down to how it works, nothing in it about that adjustment mechanism.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Can't the attachment at the front be disconnected, and the seat just tilted back? Going from memory (my Son's out with the Passat right now) but I think it's just one bolt and you'd have all the access you need.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
was just out looking at it. loosened the front trim piece, and sprayed it with some WD40 to see if it would loosen up. too cold to spend too much time out there right now.

edit: went out to check it after a bit, and it hasn't loosened up. will look at it first thing in the morning - it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
It's a cable iirc. Try pushing on the lever to force it back into a slot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if you resolved the issue, but I had the same problem this past fall. It was 12 years worth of dust, dirt, food, and god knows what gumming up the latching mechanism. I pulled the seat out, wiped down and lubricated every thing, and reinstalled it. No problems since. I followed the Haynes guide and, I believe, a post or two here on front seat removal. Not a hard job, about an hour. You have to take off the head rest to maneuver the seat out the rear door. Unplugging the airbag is the only risk factor. It was kind of cool seeing the cabin without a seat, at least my daughters thought so. Next warmer day hopefully. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts