Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before you scoff at "another noob post" please read and see if anyone can help. I have a 98 Passat "Nugen" Wagon 5speed 1.8 T that has 195k on it. A great car and great transportation,:driving: however, just recently the #14 fuse has started to blow. At first, it was every now and again and I checked the usual spots (the door jamb wiring, the comfort control module and the sunroof wiring) and they all passed muster. No corrosion, not even a sign of rust.

The CCM had a frayed wire and the jambs all had broken wires, so I patched those up, replaced what needed to be replaced and kept moving. The fuse blowing stopped for about 4 months, I thought the issue was fixed, until one day...(sounds like a bad story), as I was driving, the fuse popped and my windows and sunroof were stuck opened. I used the key to close the windows and the Allen key to manually close the sunroof and went to look for the culprit. To no avail.:banghead: Everything still works as it should with the exception of the windows and sunroof. Help:confused:

Things I have checked:
  • CCM wiring all the way back to fuse block
  • Door jamb wiring
  • window switches
  • sunroof wiring(headliner is currently out)
  • Window motors (new motor/regulator in driver side)
  • fuse connections under dash
  • fuse connections under hood
  • radio connections
  • undercarriage for open wires(grounds)
  • and the switch housing for the driver sides window(replaced)

What am I missing???

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
If this fuse also supplies current to the mirrors, I would check the mirror switch and mirror wiring. An aftermarket mirror switch kept blowing one of my fuses (#6 or #14 -- I forget which, and this was a pre-facelift 2001 model), preventing cranking unless I bypassed the security relay.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Since you have a wagon, the red/white wire controlled by the CCM, and powered via the CCM by fuse 14, runs to the rear gate. That's a flex point, so could be worth looking at.

In the B5.5 models (including mine), the wires inside the visors to the light switches therein were notorious for their insulation flaking off. From the schematic, I'm not sure the B5 configuration is the same, but if it is, then take a look. It's the same wire, but it changes from red/white to red/black in the "interior light wiring harness," i.e. ceiling light harness.

Does your car have green or blue interior lights? Apparently some early models had green (incandescent?) and the schematic is different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has (white) lights, Blue if I must choose one or the other. As for the rear gate wires, I will check that once we are done being drenched by rain. I have removed all the puddle lights for now, so I will check the wiring there. I have to take the door panels off again anyway to replace the clips for the panels, I will check them all then.

The visors are removed because I have the headliner out to replace it. Will update as I proceed. Thank you all for the help!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.