Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

At 93K miles I think it is time to start thinking about replacing my rear brake rotors. Should I just go ahead and replace the old ones with OEM rotors or should I look to upgrading? Since most of the braking in our cars is done by the front brakes and I don't race I thought staying stock made financial sense.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Tom you are absolutely correct. If you drive like the average responsible adult stock rotors will do just fine.

You can simply get upgraded pads and improve your brakes by at least 20%.

If you were to consider an upgraded rotor SLOTTED rotors( not drilled and slotted) should be your choice. The slots provide gas venting and they also shave the surface of the pad so that you get fresh pad everytime you brake.

The disadvantage to having slotted rotors is :
(1) They produce more brake dust.
(2) They reduce pad life (especially under hard braking)
(3) They sometimes give a little vibration (usually under high pressure on the pedal)

Cross drilled rotors are more for cooling since the holes allow for more flow of air to help disipate the heat.

Most motorsports types use slotted rotor over cross drilled nowadays But some OEM applications from Porsche and Mercedes AMG use BREMBO cross drilled rotors and calipers. (I think those rotors are cast with the holes to minimize cracking instead of being drilled)

The whole concept of braking is transferring Kinetic energy in to heat, the faster you can get rid of the heat the more consitent your braking will be.

OEM rotors are more than adequate if you pair them with the right pads.

Most people still like the crossdrilled look more for appearance than any thing

Save the extra cash and just get some (HIGH quality) plain rotors and some HIGH quality street pads.

Don't bother with race pads (they are overkill and you may be disspointed with their performance of them on your daily driver and the price is enough to make you think twice about race pads the average 90 dollars and higher per axle set.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Since you're in NY, I would highly recommend Germanautoparts (Adirondack). When I got my brake stuff from them, they were all ATE parts. Their prices were good, they don't rip you off on shipping, and you'll have the stuff in a day.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I just went through this issue at 70k, and think it come down to a question of if you can live with the brake fade that, in my case, seems to get worse with wear. As I researched it, I came to the conclusion that the rear brakes were undersized for the weight of the car.

I ended up going with cross-drilled (Zimmerman) and mintex red pads, and the fade has been eliminated. Ended up getting them at wrdusa.com ... they appeared to specialize in vw and carried all the brands. CHose zimmerman because they were significantly less than the brembo. By the way, they were about $100 to 150 less than the oem ones.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
you can find oem replacement brembo & ate rotors and many popular choice pads at www.importrp.com.

They're cheaper than most places and provide good customer service.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
:thumbdow: Cadmium plating is a huge waste of money because it wears off after a day of braking. If you are concerned about the rotor hats, I recommend using a high temperature engine or rotor paint and treating them yourself. Check out this site!!

I highly recommend going with Adirondak Auto Parts for a good set of plain faced rotors. Now for pads, go with PBR/Axxis Deluxe-Plus and stay away from Mintex Redbox pads!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
One thing I noticed, if you intend to only upgrade pads, is that my rear OEM rotors were wearing out way faster than my front Zimmermans.
As if the Mintex pads were too hard (abrasive) for OEM rotors (if it makes sense).

I have been using Zimmerman x-drilled with Mintex Red Box all around.
Got everything from Adirondak and have been very satisfied.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
here is another noob question....can you just purchess new roters and pads and then put them on, or do you have to do the whole proccess with new calipers and lines and everything.....for someone that wants to achived the cross drilled look and a nice pad withought shelling out 2 grand

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike Fannon said:
here is another noob question....can you just purchess new roters and pads and then put them on, or do you have to do the whole proccess with new calipers and lines and everything.....for someone that wants to achived the cross drilled look and a nice pad withought shelling out 2 grand
You can replace just the pads if you want. Or just the rotors and pads. Some times it's a good idea to also change your brake fluid if it is about 2 years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.