Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to have my DP installed today and of course for the first time in 8 years I was going to have a shop put a part on for me. They quoted me $60 and I figured for that price I would let them get dirty. When I took it in today of course a totally different f%&*()g different story. They said OH we did not realize what was involved with the job. So the price went from $60 to $120 in about 2 min. I said take the [email protected]#$&g off the lift. So now I need to know how difficult is to do this myself. It looks like one of the bolts is easy to get too, but the rest look like a bitch. I put a DP on a 2001 GTI and it was simple but the passat has the transverese engine. Please give me some tips and help.

TT 2.5 DP on 5 speed
Mated to a TT 2.5 exhaust(exhaust is on w/ stock DP) I am making a sleeve to stay 2.5" all the wat thru.

Thanks Michael

·
Registered
897 Posts
the bolts are not going to be easy to get to if you do not have a lift . i think it took me and my budy about three hours to pull of the ond one and put the new one on .and man did it suck. but i would still do it myself if i where you . :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DP

Are the bolts holding the DP to the cat nuts and bolts or are the nuts spot welded to the flange of the cat. Thanks for the info. The car has about 6000 miles on it and when I had it on the lift at work the one bolt I could reach actually turned. So I am going to hope for the best

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
dude, pay the $120, especially if you have an automatic. i work at a shop and we did mine, it took about three hours, what a pain in the ass. one bolt was welded to the flange, the others came off i forget which one it was though. putting the new one on wasnt bad but getting the old one off sucked, plus you gotta figure it really needs two guys so $120 for two mechanics for 3 hours isnt bad.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Acctually its not that hard....take the pasanger wheel off. After that unbolt the 2 bolts from the wheel wel.....the last one you have to do with the 20in extension and 3/8" swivel......

Be aware that if you snap the bolt you will have to remove the cat and drill out or sand off the nut. Thats not that hard either.

1st time I did the DP it was PITA....now its rather easy....after 2-3 times.

Good luck :)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DP

I plan on doing it work on a lift and the only reason I even thought about having it done was because the DP is built for the TT exhaust that is 2.5 all the way and I have the TT exhaust that has a reducer to stock DP. I figured if these guys were going to make me an adapter I would see what they wanted to do it. They took the car in put it up and I explained what i wanted done and the owner of the shop said no problem and worked out a price and set up the appt for today. I took it over today and as they were pulling it in the owner stepped out and the sh*t hit the fan. The guy that took it in said the boss was wrong and it would take 2x longer and it was more difficult then what he estimated for. Now I can see if they didn't look at the job but give me a brake they had it on the lift and they went over the entire job. If you know me I NEVER have work done at a garage, I do all my own work and they experience surely justifies my reasoning. I apologize if offend any mechanics out there, but I think I am going to try it. To the guy that said about taking the wheel off, what type of car did you do when you took the wheel off. Keep the help coming

·
Registered
897 Posts
my guess is a passat :wink: you are doing this on a passat right? :lol:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've done this job four or five times, at least twice on my car ('99 1.8T Manual), once on another car just like mine, and a 2002 Tiptronic. The easiest way is to take off the passenger side wheel just as passaturbonium indicated. Be sure to soak the nuts (they are spot welded to the cat flange) with a rust eater fluid. You can do it from the engine compartment.

You will need a 20 inch extension and a swivel socket to remove one of the bolts. Oh and one of them will probably break. When they do just remove the entire cat to get the broken part of the bolt out. It's really a matter of luck whether they break or not, one guy's '99 didn't break any and the 2002 broke two bolts. Replace the bolts with new ones, you'll need three and I can't remember the size.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
I've done this, too, without a lift, and it ain't that hard. Ditto all the above info, with emphasis on:

WD40 the snot out of it, starting a day or two beforehand

The pax wheel off and the 20" extension with swivel socket are also essentials. Don't use a regular socket with a swivel adapter - go pay $10-$15 for the 13mm Craftsman that has the swivel built-in to the socket.

One more thing - taking the airbox assy out will give you a lot more elbow room. For me it was well worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm probably going to have a shop put mine on tomorrow. If one or more of the bolts breaks, will muffler shops generally have some bolts they can use?

If it's an uncommon bolt/nut, any info concerning replacements to buy would help me out too!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yeah I bought my bolts at Lowe's. They are a common deal. IIRC the new style cats use an oval locking style nut (welded to the cat) so you are almost guaranteed to break the bolts. Make sure they put a little anti-seize on the bolts so it'll be easier to remove next time.

Oh and be sure to replace the gasket where the cat and the downpipe meet. It's a standard header gasket (2.5"). They are sold at Autozone and they look triangular. If you try to reuse the gasket you will get a leak for sure. The leak is a squealing noise around 3000rpm.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Apparently I got the deal of the century.

I paid $100 (plus 20 dollar tip) to put on MY ENTIRE EXHAUST!

The $20 tip was for the swearing I heard durring the DP install. :lol:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Let's see, 20" extention and 13mm swivel socket. Might need a bit of electrical tape to firm up the joint if it's really loose. Please check out my JetEx install:
http://home.comcast.net/~hhong4/jetexinstall.htm

The first time I did this, I had a neck cramp that lasted a couple of days and took a good 3 hours to install my Neuspeed system.

When the DP broke, I removed it and bought a Jetex but the Jetex didn't come with a DP so I installed my OEM one back temporarily. When Neuspeed finally gave me a new one (gotta love life time warranty) I removed the OEM DP and installed the Neuspeed DP. This last install took only 20 minutes of wrenching time.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
CRD99 said:
I've done this job four or five times, at least twice on my car ('99 1.8T Manual), once on another car just like mine, and a 2002 Tiptronic. The easiest way is to take off the passenger side wheel just as passaturbonium indicated. Be sure to soak the nuts (they are spot welded to the cat flange) with a rust eater fluid. You can do it from the engine compartment.

You will need a 20 inch extension and a swivel socket to remove one of the bolts. Oh and one of them will probably break. When they do just remove the entire cat to get the broken part of the bolt out. It's really a matter of luck whether they break or not, one guy's '99 didn't break any and the 2002 broke two bolts. Replace the bolts with new ones, you'll need three and I can't remember the size.
Exact experiance...

Also I would recommend getting 2x 20" extensions and 2 swivels....in case those bolts snap.....you will need it unless you weld the new nut on. :wink:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 24 Posts