Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I downshift with the tip -and I don't mean tap it back!

When? At what speed/gear? Every time I try I 'jerk' the car a bit. I would like to drive more in tip mode, but everytime I need to slow down/downshift, I F it up and slap her back into auto.

Can the tip be used to help in braking such as engine compression?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Only shift between 1-2k rpms if you don't have your foot on the gas if you want to use downshifting for engine braking. The 'jerk' won't be as noticeable, but if you just tap the gas, then let off it slowly, it should be nice and slow (but, it is braking, so it will pull you forward nonetheless)

If you're say... merging into somewhere at about 40, and want to shift down to 2nd... apply more and more and more gas.

Just rev the engine up if you downshift so the 'jerk' doesn't come from the sudden loss of RPMs. I think the new M3 does something like this automatically with their auto-manual tranny.

Oh yeah, and this is with a V6.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the Tip ALL the time and it's usually a pretty smooth shift both up and down. There is a little lurch if you downshift early and the engine revs up a lot, but it's just like a manual. The only notable exception is going from 2nd to 1st - I have to be going slow (<10mph) and even then the shift can be accompanied with a solid clunk. I usually let it do that shift on it's own. As for shifting points, I don't really pay much attention to the tach, it's more by feel. If I had to guess, I'd say downshift so that the engine revs to about 3,000rpm once it spools back up after the shift.

Hope that helps...

Justin

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
How do I downshift with the tip -and I don't mean tap it back!

When? At what speed/gear? Every time I try I 'jerk' the car a bit. I would like to drive more in tip mode, but everytime I need to slow down/downshift, I F it up and slap her back into auto.

Can the tip be used to help in braking such as engine compression?
My friend you may want to invest in a GIAC Tiptronic chip upgrade.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ju5t1n said:
The only notable exception is going from 2nd to 1st
I'm hardly in a situation where I need to shift from 2nd to 1st except when I'm coming to a stop. In that case, when I'm in Tip mode, I always let the transmission do it by itself. That way it's smooth and never jerky.

All my other downshifts in Tip mode are pretty smooth (since the Tip won't let me downshift if I'm going too fast anyway).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I wouldnt use the TIP to downshift on hi revs at all..Its cheaper to replace brake pads then it is to replace a tiptronic transmission(since it might last you til your warranty is out).

If you are shifting to first, like he said wait til you are at about 1K or 10mph, then go to 1st, or as he did, let it do it on its own. I actually use downshifting to slow down, but on 4th and 3rd gears. just watch your RPMs....

And I am not so sure about the reply you got from Crappedcrusader....he may be refering to how the trany responds to revs??? but I would use that if I didnt have a Tiptronic and had a plain auto trans...I may have not understood him correctly, but ?? :???:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't use the transmission for engine braking during everyday driving. In fact, after having the car for a number of years now, I hardly ever go into Tip mode because there are very few occassions under full throttle where I can choose the shift points better than the computer.

The only reason I'd be in Tip mode is if I wanted to hold a gear (ie. while going up a curvy hills). Otherwise, I find that Auto mode combined with the kick-down switch provide a much quicker response than what I can do with the Tip. I don't know, maybe that would be different if I had the Tip chip :) .

·
Registered
28 Posts
fuel economy is better in manual mode.

I'm still experimenting but fuel economy seems better if you upshift manually. (After 25 years driving a manual, I still reach for the clutch....)

But I have observed that even in light throttle mode, the programs don't get up into fifth as early as feasible. ...And it's a quick flick to get back up to torque band.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Otherwise, I find that Auto mode combined with the kick-down switch provide a much quicker response than what I can do with the Tip.
Since I got the 225's, the engine takes it's time to get going from speed, where as before, with the 195's, the passing at speed was very nice.

but on 4th and 3rd gears. just watch your RPMs....
I guess what I really was looking for was when to downshift while slowing/braking. I have a nice small section of road where it's fast, fast slow, fast, slow, fast... I guess what you guys are saying is to upshift in tip, then slip her in auto and let it downshift, then back into tip for more fun?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Whenever i'm out on my own I always use the tip in manual shift mode.
Don't ask why , I just enjoy it.
I always use the engine/gears to slow the car down only difficulty is between 2nd - 1st. Could't quite get the speed / revs right. So I just let the tip deal with that change by itself.
I guess it's just habit from driving a manual for the past 22 years.
You know , I never once blew up an engine but downshifting and using the engine / gearbox to reduce speed... Strange eh.
Am I damaging the engine / gearbox? Doubt it, but you will hear plenty of people say that you are in this place.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
V6er....I am not sure what damage could be on the short run, but I guess it puts more harsh wear and tear on the trany.

Does anyone know how the kick down feature works? I have used it to go to a lower gear to overtake a car/pass on the freeway, but how else can it be used ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
NoneRock said:
in tip mode it will downshift on it's own unless you have the auto kickdown disabled.
True, but I hate this feature when you're at the point the auto downshift goes from 3 to 2 and you think by yourself, oke, let me downshift here because I want to have some power taking of in a second... Then the result is that you are downshifting from 2 to 1 becaue the auto beat you to it. Feels not good when the car lurches forward with 5000 rpms all of a sudden.
For the rest, I manually downshift once rpms fall below 3000 to 2500 when I want to accellerate. If I'm braking and want to be in a powerband where I have some control over the speed of the car whith the throttle, I downshift such that the resulting rpms are between 3000 and 4000. There, you have enough power to start moving, and the engine has enough rpms to do some braking if you let your foot of the gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I end up using the Tip mode probably 70% of the time. Not because it's particularly quicker, but because I like having more control over what the car is doing. I like driving a manual, but my commute is mostly stop and go so losing the clutch has been nice. The auto mode shifts well and usually at appropriate points, but I notice it shifting all the time. It's constantly re-evaluating the situation and picking a "better" gear which I find annoying.

The tip mode gives me more control - particularly since disabling the kick down switch with a VAG-COM. By doing that I got rid of the super annoying habit of double downshifting as mentioned above. This mod leaves the auto mode alone so it still has the kick down enabled and it shifts like normal. Obviously all of this is very much subject to personal opinions and preferences, but so far this has been a great combination for me.

Justin

·
Registered
91 Posts
...this talk about brakes being cheaper than a transmission seems to be non-sense to me. The tip is there to be used for safety, sport and comfort. I use mine responsibly without a thought as to it ever failing, and if it does I will not buy another VW tip...Riding your brakes all the time is a crime against driving IMHO...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
nojevive said:
For the rest, I manually downshift once rpms fall below 3000 to 2500 when I want to accellerate.
If I'm braking and want to be in a powerband where I have some control over the speed of the car whith the throttle, I downshift such that the resulting rpms are between 3000 and 4000. There, you have enough power to start moving, and the engine has enough rpms to do some braking if you let your foot of the gas.
I think that sums it up best when you're in performance driving mode. :thumbup:

If you're just driving with traffic flow, it's easier (for driver and car) to leave it in auto and let the brakes do the work.

·
Registered
696 Posts
About tip downshifting.
I use my tip about 85% of the time :D so i dont have to wait for the auto tranny to downshift into more power. Also the controll is way better. If you dont have the GIAC tip chip you will have about a 1sec shift lag. If youre like me and dont have the $$$ for the chip, you can use the lag to your advantage. I feel absolutely no downshift jerk or lurch with my b5.5 when i downshift. Heres how to do it: lets say that youre going 50mph at about 3500rpm, when you downshift, press the gas to match where the rpm's will be on the lower gear (4500-5000). Doubleclutching* takes practice, but id say after about two weeks you should master it. P.S. i feel that it is easiest to learn shifting from second to first (just because there is the biggest jerk chen downshifting there), then pick it up to higher speeds. My favorite is downshifting on offramps from 4th to 3rd at about 60-65mph, just so that you can easily beat that semi thats trying to cut you off :mad: . fun. good luck.

*funny though how we tippers dont have a clutch though :crazy:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Free_Styling said:
don;t understand. you rev it up to about 4500 and the downshift then hit the gas again to the floor.
I think it goes: downshift, hit gas in the 1 sec of shift lag, then by the time it hit the lower gear your foot is already down and the revs are up, thus getting rid of the jolt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts