Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001.5 1.8t, When downshifting to a stop, I usually go 3rd, 2nd and then just pull the clutch and brake since 1st is so short. I recently tried it and each time I do, it throws itself out of 1st...the shift knob throws back and I can hear a loud thud from the car...why is this? just too much tension on the clutch?
(169,000K if that helps)

Any help/suggestions help! Thank you!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any issues while driving in 1st? Can you shift into 1st from neutral at a stop? Are you holding the clutch down after you've shifted into 1st, and then easing out on the clutch?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any issues while driving in 1st? Can you shift into 1st from neutral at a stop? Are you holding the clutch down after you've shifted into 1st, and then easing out on the clutch?
No issues at all! From a complete stop its all fine, and yes I shift properly! I hold the clutch in until fully into 1st gear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've known some cars (and actually owned one) where shifting into first going more than 20kph would not happen. It wouldn't even go into gear. Once the speed was low enough, it would go in. I'm not sure if it's a shift lock, or it's just that first gear is such a low ratio gear that the syncros cannot keep up to the speed to allow a shift into gear.

I would think that the latter cause is what you're experiencing considering you hear a thud then it pops out of first, but I'm by no means a transmission expert.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I've known some cars (and actually owned one) where shifting into first going more than 20kph would not happen. It wouldn't even go into gear. Once the speed was low enough, it would go in. I'm not sure if it's a shift lock, or it's just that first gear is such a low ratio gear that the syncros cannot keep up to the speed to allow a shift into gear.

I would think that the latter cause is what you're experiencing considering you hear a thud then it pops out of first, but I'm by no means a transmission expert.
This. ^^^^

What you're doing is hard on the transmission syncros and puts unnecessary wear on the clutch. Unless you have a good reason, slow the car with the brakes, not with 1st gear. Brake pads are easy and inexpensive to replace. Transmissions and clutches are difficult and cost a lot more.

Sometimes during autocross competition I need to downshift to first at speed. I heel-toe the brake/gas and rev-match to get it to complete the shift. I also rev-match when downshifting to second just to keep from straining the 2nd gear synchros. Once you burn up a synchro, you'll have a hard time getting into that gear no matter what you do then it's time for a rebuilt or replacement transmission. :(

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
^^^ This.

Coast/brake in whatever gear you happen to be in, and when you are about to lug the engine, push the clutch in, pop it into neutral and use the brake the rest of the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts