Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last night I'm heading over to my girl's school to stay the night with her... I notice that the exhaust has a louder note than before. When I parked, I opened the door and gave the car a couple of revs, and was greeted by the lovely sound of a hardcore exhaust leak. I looked underneath today and found that the flex section was torn. Is this part of the downpipe or the exhaust? Is there a way to replace the flex section only? I'm in need of a cheap fix, my car payment is due this week and my girl's BDay is coming up in the next 2 weeks... I plan on buying a DP/Exhaust combo when the weather gets nicer but I need some sort of band-aid fix for now. Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey :poke: FormerGSRdriver,

I too had a leak at the flex-joint. I took "Sporty" to my local Midas shop and they spliced in a new longer Flex joint by cutting the old one just after the mounting spot :thumbup: ( I have used this shop before and they cut me a deal, paid $425CAD). Then they spliced in a small mandrel bent extension and attached the new longer flex joint to the extension. I had them remove the suitcase resonator and splice in a straight pipe with two 45 deg. bends to the existing OE pipe that bends over the rear axle. BIG DIFFERENCE in power delivery and spool time for sure. Noise level is higher as well, but not unreasonable. I later wrapped the new pipe from the OE muffler where the suitcase resonator was to reduce the hollow sound reverberating off the now hollowed out space where the "pre-muffler" was.

This was cheaper than a full exhaust, and exhaust gasses are free-er flowing :lol:

:beer: , Malcolm

·
Registered
628 Posts
That sucks dude... Is this the stock downpipe or an aftermarket? If its the stockpipe I can see if my install still has my old one laying around. I replace the stock DP with a TT 2.5 DP last week. I would send it to you all you would have to do is pay for S&H. Btw.. I have 02 1.8t....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is the stock downpipe I'm talking about. Seriously, if you could do that for me, that would be the biggest favor ever. Does anyone know if that 02 downpipe will work on my car? Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
FormerGSRdriver said:
Yes, this is the stock downpipe I'm talking about. Seriously, if you could do that for me, that would be the biggest favor ever. Does anyone know if that 02 downpipe will work on my car? Thanks!
Ditto Here KId,

If 'NYA VW' cannot find his downpipe my OEM downpipe is sitting in the garage, I's your for FREE just you pay for the shipping. Mine came off a 2000 B5 ( As you can tell from my 'handle') Send back a post and I will give you my cell number to make arrangements. What part of the country are you anyway?

Sam...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2000Passat1.8TS said:
FormerGSRdriver said:
Ditto Here KId,

If 'NYA VW' cannot find his downpipe my OEM downpipe is sitting in the garage, I's your for FREE just you pay for the shipping. Mine came off a 2000 B5 ( As you can tell from my 'handle') Send back a post and I will give you my cell number to make arrangements. What part of the country are you anyway?

Sam...
Sam, I live in Maine, so shipping prolly wouldn't be rediculously expensive. Do you have AOL? Hit me up, bigeyedfish42007, otherwise PM me on here and we can exchange phone #'s. Thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts