Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Folks, This is my first time changing anything on my 2006 Passat 2.0t.

I've done searches and can't find this info anywhere.

Went with a pretty simple DD GPS/DVD/TV, Etc.

Install was pretty rudimentary, until I connected the wire Harness and just got a blue screen with the word "<-Car" in green letters.

In recent research I found that the Brake-In wire(Pink) had to be grounded (or technically be connected to the parking brake wire), I did connect the pink to the Black GND wire, but I need to re-check the connection as I used butt-connectors.

1) Is there anything else that I should worry about regarding the BRAKE-IN wire? I figure a ground is a ground and if I tie it into the Black GND wire I'd be fine.

2) The Stock HU has 2 antennas (One Pale yellow and one White). The Antenna Adapter that came with the only has one antenna slot. What is the purpose of the two, and are they both needed? Can I just use one with the current antenna adapter that I have, and is there any downside to this?

3)Steering wheel controls - I have a fear that I'm going to lose use of these. The unit that I'm installing has the connections for it, but there's nothing to connect them to. Is there a certain adapter that I would need?

I think that's it for now, I'm sure more questions will come up as time goes along. Any help and/or wisdom you guys/gals can impart would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
Bravestar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for moving to the Mobile Electronics forum! Definitely a NOOB move for me to post it in the B6 Garage. Just looking for a little help!:salute:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few updates below.

1) Is there anything else that I should worry about regarding the BRAKE-IN wire? I figure a ground is a ground and if I tie it into the Black GND wire I'd be fine.
Update - re-wired these wires and the unit booted up immediately. FIXED

2) The Stock HU has 2 antennas (One Pale yellow and one White). The Antenna Adapter that came with the only has one antenna slot. What is the purpose of the two, and are they both needed? Can I just use one with the current antenna adapter that I have, and is there any downside to this?

Update - Currently Only using the yellow antenna, I'm assuming one is for FM and one is for AM. I get FM fine right now, So I'm good for the moment. Will eventually buy a Double Farka to DIN antenna adapter as such: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1387

3)Steering wheel controls - I have a fear that I'm going to lose use of these. The unit that I'm installing has the connections for it, but there's nothing to connect them to. Is there a certain adapter that I would need?

Definitely lost steering wheel controls for the moment, I believe I'll have to invest in a CAN-BUS, but still need more info here.

I think that's it for now, I'm sure more questions will come up as time goes along. Any help and/or wisdom you guys/gals can impart would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
Bravestar

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
most of those 81 views were guests. I see about 15 from users here.

I will answer one of your questions if you promise to lose the attitude...

what was the head unit prior to the aftermarket (assumption on my part) install?

the reason I ask is, the AM and FM use the same antenna, and the GPS uses another, and the satellite radio uses another (altho the sat radio and GPS might use the same antenna, as well).

for B5 and B5.5 models (yours is a B6, btw), ground is NOT black - it's brown.

for steering wheel controls, there are some entries here for you to search thru, if you take the time to do so. yes, you will need CAN Bus adapters.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
81 views and nothing. Thanks for the help folks...Sheesh.
1. Lose the attitude.

2. What make/model HU exactly did you buy? Many manufacturers have sell kits for the steering wheel controls.

3. Little information = little response

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Lose the attitude.

2. What make/model HU exactly did you buy? Many manufacturers have sell kits for the steering wheel controls.

3. Little information = little response
No attitude to begins with Gents, was looking for a bit of info is all. Got the install to function properly, wasn't worth investing in the CAN-BUS and the dual Fakra adapter would've been an extra 100 bucks. For that much I'll probably go with an A-Sure tech HU.

Thanks for the helps peeps. :salute:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
No attitude to begins with Gents, was looking for a bit of info is all. Got the install to function properly, wasn't worth investing in the CAN-BUS and the dual Fakra adapter would've been an extra 100 bucks. For that much I'll probably go with an A-Sure tech HU.

Thanks for the helps peeps. :salute:
This...is attitude.

81 views and nothing. Thanks for the help folks...Sheesh.
Your install shouldn't have been anything special. A B6 install is a VERY simple install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts