Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Double checking fitment before taking the plunge

918 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TheRustySuper 
#1 ·
Here goes.

We have an 05 Passat GLS wagon, fwd auto and stock suspension. It needs new tires, and my dad gave me a set of 17x8 Mille Miglia wheels that I think will look really nice on it. They originally went on his BMW, so we need to order adapters to get the bolt pattern to line up. I've found a good deal on a set of 1 inch adapters that are designed to fit BMW wheels on a VW, so they have a 57.1mm inner center bore and a 72.5mm outer center bore. We measured and the Mille Miglia wheels have the same offset as was stock on the VW, so there will be an overall positive offset of 1 inch with the setup. Planning on going with the stock tire size of 225/45.

Before I start ordering things, I want to know...will all of this fit without clearance/rubbing issues and look good? I know people have run some pretty aggressive setups but just wanted to make sure!

#3 ·
Thanks for the input! I know mille miglia wheels certainly aren't the best out there, but this set did survive 8 years of winter use and 2 years of dedicated track use and only one is a little bent. All 4 of the stock passat wheels are bent so I suppose it's kind of an upgrade, haha. Plus they were free.

looks like the offset on the Mille Miglia wheels is actually 40 mm. The max offset for a set of stock passat wheels from the factory is 45mm, so if I were to go with a set of 20mm adapters up front and 20mm in the rear (they'll cost more but ya know, actually fitting is important) then I should be in good shape, correct? I would only be 15mm over what it came with from the factory.

#5 ·
Got it, I'm bad at math but yes that makes sense. I found some 19mm ones and that looks like that's as narrow as I can get. I'm guessing that will fit though. If fender clearance is an issue I could get them rolled professionally but on stock suspension I'm doubting that will be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.