Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had it for 26 hours. That was 26 hours too long. I got stuck with it when the rental place did not have the Dodge Neon I specifically requested.

Overall impressions: The only redeeming feature of this car is the shifter knob. Nearly perfectly shaped, and the slim shaft was fantastic. Too bad I did not have any excuse to have my hand on it.

The drivetrain was iffy. Acceleration was poor, with long TC hookup lags. This made for some frightening moments in traffic. The AWD system was unnoticable, except for the strain on the motor during acceleration.

The seats were flat and hard. Coupled with a suspension that transmitted a overly large amount of NVH to the seat rails, this made for an uncomfortable ride. The seating position was very high. The cabin noise was comparable to the Rabbit with the top up. I have no idea how they achieved that. It was nearly impossible to hear the radio without blasting it.

Steering feedback was non-existant. I had to rely on the substantial butt-feedback for any road awareness. Braking was adequate, at low speeds it bordered on dangerous - there was no light dragging of the pads to coast to a stop, just full on or full off, it seemed.

It was not possible to turn off the climate control. Attempts to get "vent" were unsuccessful. Otherwise, it worked well when thermostatic control was desired.

Instrumentation was laid out neatly with all gauges visible after some movement of the steering wheel. Fuel ecomony was ok, 26.5mpg on the highway with an average trip speed of 61mph.

Overall, this car is not a Jag. I don't know who buys them, but they are buying the badge, not the car. This is simply not a driver's car.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
pretty negative results...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sounds right, i have drieven a few also, i can understand all you mentioned, i agree 100%

·
Registered
941 Posts
My friend had an X-type on the lift and I got a chance to scrutinize the undercarriage.

Compared to the VW/AUDI AWD under-carriage… as far as neatness, packaging, functionality and over all quality is concerned, the X-type looks like a farm tractor. :puke:

Doesn’t Ford build farm tractors :???:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
natskiboy said:
pretty negative results...
Right but not too surprising that she was underwhelmed since the car is really just a rebadged Ford Contour. In an article by Car and Driver earlier this year the X finished 7th out of 7 in their 35k sports sedans comparison article. Linkage

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Totally agreed. I have driven X-Type for a couple of times, both 2.5 and 3.0 V6. These cars are simply craps. No wonder Jaguar is struggling big times these days. :thumbdow: :thumbdow:

·
Registered
114 Posts
X-Type is not a real Jaguar it is based off an Aussie Ford product. Poor Jaguar it got "Americanized" by Ford's parts bin.
Where is the British pride?
Mini and Rolls Royce owned by BMW, Bentley by VW(via Audi)
Lotus??
Hopes Ford does not scew up Aston Martin because the DB9 is awesome :nervous:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
X-Type is not based on Aussie Ford platform. Its based on current Mondeo platform but got completely lost during transformation. :roll:

·
Registered
941 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
X-Type is not based on Aussie Ford platform. Its based on current Mondeo platform but got completely lost during transformation. :roll:
Isn’t that what happened the first time… :(

I drove the first Mondeo in Europe back in 1995 and was very impressed. I decided to buy our version here. You can’t imagine my :puke: :cry: reaction when I drove the Mercury Mystique here.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have read similar negative articles.

Apparently Jag is so desperate to sell the X-Type, it has even made the Wagon available, in the US. (Something previously it said it would never do)

-Nick

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah, i never liked the X-Type myself... The X-Type should never have been in Jaguars lineup as it can go up against the 3-Series.

I would tell you to drive the S-Type, it has the same base as the LS but stiffen a great deal and the ride is very good yet there is not much body roll.
There is something to be said about the ZF Tranny on stop and go, not smooth at all.. Kind of like the clunk in the 4Mo you get, but in this RWD car.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have driven a 01 Ford Mondeo 2.0 which is a really great drive. On a contrary, Jaguar engineers have tuned the X-Type really poorly which is totally out of place considered both cars are on same chassis. S-Type isn't much better neither in both V6 and V8 form. S-Type R is pretty good but for that price, I would rather buy a RS6, M5 and E55 AMG instead.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I rented an X-Type (2003) from Hertz's "Prestige Collection" at Chicago Midway Airport and found it to be a complete waste of money. The one I rented had an extremely annoying driveline clunk and a backache inducing driver's seat. This prompted me to return it the first day and get a Ford Focus ZX5 instead, which provided a much better driving experience for 1/3 the rate.

·
Registered
28,024 Posts
atomicalex said:
Nearly perfectly shaped, and the slim shaft was fantastic. Too bad I did not have any excuse to have my hand on it.
Calm down Chu,she was not talking about you.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Zuhaib said:
There is something to be said about the ZF Tranny on stop and go, not smooth at all.. Kind of like the clunk in the 4Mo you get, but in this RWD car.
FWIW, thats how ZF makes them .... go drive any older Mercedes, you'll see.

I found it funny you WANTED a Neon over that POS!!! People around here buy them because ... they are 299/month with fees only upfront. That's really not bad, considering the maintenance, etc is included.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
There are quite some people buy an X-Type 2.5 due to lease rates here. Since Jag dropped its price, those "badge snob" find it appealing because for the price of a "MUCH BETTER" Camry XLE V6 you can get into a goddamn Jaguar. :nervous:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
atomicalex said:
Nearly perfectly shaped, and the slim shaft was fantastic. Too bad I did not have any excuse to have my hand on it.
i thought this was a family site.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
atomicalex said:
double A rents an X-Type...
I'm not sure I'd call myselff Double-A...isn't that a really tiny bra size? :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts