Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've searched and came up with nothing about the door trim..what is holding it on? mine is peeling off of the rear driver side door (it pinched itself with the trim on the front driverside door). i want to take it off but am unsure if there are any clips or retainers holding it in place. anyone know?

·
Registered
284 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's double-sided tape and clips that mount into the door. you can get the 3M moulding tape in alot of autoparts stores.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are talking about the head liner colored trim that runs down the A pillar from the liner to the dash, it is held on with glue.

Mine has come off too and when I get around to it I will re-attach it with contact cement.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Malcolm

·
Registered
77 Posts
The trim is positioned on the door (rear) using three plastic posts and is held in place with doubled-sided tape that comes pre-attached to the trim piece. I'm not sure how many posts there are on the front door trim piece. You can remove the trim (easier on a hot day) by working waxed dental floss underneath the tape to break the tape bond.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have the exact same problem...

I drove to work the other day and opened the back driver side door and heard a noise and the door was hard to open. So I looked to see what was up and the trim had popped up enough to catch on the front door trim strip and bent back. It was a bit upsetting to say the least. If anyone has the part number for these please post them. Also do these come pre-painted? Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When this exact thing happened to my rear driver side door trim, I called the dealer and was told that the trim piece is not pre-painted. The cost of the replacement along with painting was not worth it to me. I sliced off the buckled piece of trim and shaved off the ragged edges. Then I reattached the piece with two sided tape. It isnt perfect, but it'll do. Is it me or why does VW design things like this? Unbelievable.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm about to replace my strip for a second time. I am considering replacing the front door one as well, and asking the installer to slide the front forward and the rear backward so their is less chance of contact. Don't worry, it's only money.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I'm about to replace my strip for a second time. I am considering replacing the front door one as well, and asking the installer to slide the front forward and the rear backward so their is less chance of contact. Don't worry, it's only money.
You can't. Well, not enough to matter. There's MAYBE 1/32 of clearance in each direction.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Actually at my request the shop cut off the first guide pin (plastic at back of trimpiece) and this allowed the other 3 guidepins to fit into their more "oval" holes and slide back about 0.5cm or more. Just looking at it, I know I'm not going to have the same problem ever again. I'd post pics but what the hell, just imagine the trim piece set back toward the rear of the door by 0.5cm. Looks absolutely fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts