Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though i do not have my passat anymore, a jetta is the same concept as it comes to the stereo. I want to upgrade my door speakers. I am into bass, but i would rather not go crazy with a sub and all the trouble of it. The monsoon system that is factory installed sounds nice sometimes. I am basically looking for a nice, crisp sound which would include bass, as well as a nice mid, and high tone. What speakers/company would one suggest. I would rather not lose my arm and leg, so something nicely priced- However, I am not one to go cheap, if a little bit of money has to be shed for quality its fine. Would i have to change my tweeters as well?

I would of searched but lately my Comcast internet hasn't been allowing me much internet access. I would have posted at VWvortex but its way to large, and I dnt feel I can recieve as much attention as I would over her at PW.

Thanks in advance and if you have any other suggestions it would be great.

Also, I drive a 2003 Jetta 1.8t. In the near future I plan on installing a Pioneer in dash Navi. (AVIC-D2)

:thumbup: thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you lead me into the right direction as far as how much i would be spending when it comes to a sub and amp (obviously right?) as well as speakers less than a grand or more? what do u recommend as far as companies- pioneer, eclipse, kenwood?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
honestly, leave the monsoon system alone and just add a HU, amp and sub and call it good. I can't pick a sub for you, that's up to you to decide. but given a budget I can make recommendations.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
$800 is plenty for a decent HU, amp, sub, plus wiring supplies, if you are willing to do the labor yourself. If you don't mind using eBay, you could do it even cheaper.

I'm basing $800 off Crutchfield prices. You could get an Alpine 10" Type R sub ($179), any HU (with a sub pre amp output) that runs $200-$250, an amp for $200, a sub enclosure and wiring/supplies for an additional $100.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yea im a broke highschool student too and i put this in about a week or two ago:

Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12" Dual 4-ohm Sub - $299.99
Alpine MRP-M650 Amplifier -$299.99
EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit- $29.99
Alpine CDA-9856 HU - $199.99
4 Polk Audio db 525 5-1/4" 2-way Speakers - $140
Q-Logic QLH-1.0012SS Single 12" Hatch/Trunk Box - $99.99

The amp runs 600w rms @ 4 ohms, so its a perfect match for the 4 ohm sub which is also 600w. If you dont need the door speakers then thats about $900, which is close enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts