Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched with no luck on how to safely remove the door sill panels in order to route the wire for the rear fog install. All of the instructions I have read for the install state that you need to remove these panels to run the wire, but no one tells how to actually do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Firstly you must remove the drivers / passengers kick panel , which has 1 screw (behind a plastic disc) then just pull it away. Then the plastic sill panel simpley pulls away . It is held inplace with clips but they un-clip easily. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the information. I thought that was what you had to do, but I thought I would make sure before I started ripping it apart.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Wait - you don't have to remove the door sills - just tuck them in from underneath. It's sooooooo easy - at the B-pillar you can also tuck. The only thing you need to remove is the kick panel. The whole install took less than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RL331 said:
Wait - you don't have to remove the door sills - just tuck them in from underneath. It's sooooooo easy - at the B-pillar you can also tuck. The only thing you need to remove is the kick panel. The whole install took less than 20 minutes.
What do you do once you get to the rear seat? Basically how do you get the wire back to the trunk?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I tucked it all the way under the rear sill and it pulls out slightly at the rear seat, then bends into the side of the rear seat and runs up. I did it so that you can see a quarter inch of the wire if you REALLY look for it. The wire I used was 16 gauge matte black so it bleands right in. On our Jetta I did the same thing but there was more room at the rear sill and it tuck all the way in but there's a fastener on the Passat that's in the way where the wire has to come out just a tad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts