Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have friend who is partially disabled, and because of his disability has difficulty opening the doors of his car using the handles.

My question is could I install door poppers for him on his B5.5 without disabling the handles using market available parts (ie can both mechanisms work at the same time)? He has said to me that he would like to keep the handles functional if at all possible.

If it's not then I'll still do the mod for him but I'd rather not have to build a custom system. BTW I do know what is involved in this, I'm just wondering if there is a commercial unit that does what he wants.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the door poppers should be able to be used as is - maybe some modifing to the cable linkage to allow the stock cable to still open the door. it would seem like just cutting the popper cable and some how reliably attaching it to the existing door handle cable should work

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rollininstyle2004 said:
If he is never going to use the handles why not disable thoose and just have the poppers. Leave the handles there, but not have them be useable???
Just in case the batteries run out, he want's to have the backup option. It would be much easier for him to find himself in a situation where he would get stuck than for most of us, as he has foud out the hard way in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.