Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Last month, I noticed that the driver's door lock mechanism was acting up on our '05 wagon. The door lock button would lock all but the driver's door, and no lights or buzzers would come on when the driver's door was opened. Sometimes everything worked as it should, but most of the time it didn't.

This doesn't seem to be an unusual problem based on what I've read about this generation of VW's in general (similar issues on Jettas), and the solution usually seems to entail replacing the locking mechanism on the offending door. Though the DIY didn't look too difficult, I read somewhere that someone had managed to clean their locking mechanism with electronics cleaner, and that solved their problem.

I figured I'd give it a go. Worst thing, I still have to replace the mechanism. I didn't have any electronics cleaner, but I did have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol I usually use for detailing. Stuck a sprayer into it and started soaking the latching mechanism on the side of the door. I sprayed enough in there that it actually dripped down and out the door. I worked the key in the driver's door lock back and forth, locking and unlocking the car about 10 times or so. I repeated the same with the locking/unlocking buttons. A couple more spraying and locking/unlocking sessions and what do you know, the mechanism works 100% of the time. And it continues to do so, over a month later.

I'm not saying this is a definitive fix for everyone, but if your door lock mechanisms start acting up, it's worth a go before you start spending money on parts and take apart your door :thumbup: Maybe I've just put off the inevitable, but at least I don't have to deal with it now.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
Inside the locking mechanism is a small printed circuit board that contains a few micro switches. The switches sense if the door is latched or not and if it is locked or not. After years of withstanding the door slamming closed, the solder joints fail and the circuits go open intermittently or permanently. When that happens the body computer (CCM) can no longer tell when the door is open/closed or locked/unlocked. What usually brings the mechanism back to life is to remove it from the door, take it apart and re-touch all the solder joints on the PCB. The cost is nothing but it does take a bit of time to do the work.

taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad you were able to have a simple fix. I had a issue with my turn signals. Before replacing anything I used electronics spray and so far it has fixed the issue. No need to take anything apart......Yet :p

I have the same intermittent issue as you. I haven't taken the door apart yet but am going to try what you did 1st

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason the idea that particular fault could throw a code didn't occur to me. I'll check it out and post up, I'd like to know what was going on too.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
If that fault is generating trouble codes, they will be in the CCM and not the ECM. You'll need to scan with a tool capable of interrogating the CCM (like VCDS). Most generic scan tools just talk to the ECM.

Even if no codes are stored, a fault like this can sometimes show itself if you look at the live data shown in the Measuring Blocks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am trying to repair my door module right now as well. Following "taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair" that write up linked to us by SteveChicago. The problem I am having is how am I supposed to roll my drivers window down without any power getting to it? Master switch doesn't work. Neither does key in cylinder from outside of door holding it to unlock. Can I continue to remove the door panel while the window is rolled up?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Can I continue to remove the door panel while the window is rolled up?
No. You should probably either source a used power window switch or buy new from a supplier (ECS, etc.), as you need to be able to reliably move the window up/down before going any further.

Prior to removing all those 10mm bolts holding the reg panel to the door shell, the window needs to be about 1/3 the way down so you'll be able to see both of the 10mm bolts that should be loosened, but not completely removed to disconnect the window pane from the regulator. You'll remove two black plastic discs from the regulator panel to access the 10mm bolts on the window carriage (inside door cavity).

Once the window is loose from the reg. use some blue painters tape or other tape to hold the window completely at the top of its travel before starting on lock module removal. [Search for a separate thread on lock module removal while attached to power window regulator - both removed as an assembly to make things complicated yet "easy"]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts