Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our son drove in from the Phoenix area for Thanksgiving, in the old '98 wagon which had a dripping water pump. He had an Air Force buddy with him, so I didn't feel right pushing too much to start on the car. Then another Air Force guy from their basic training days shows up and stayed over, then later a young woman who is training at the Air Force academy in Colorado (plus more non-Air Force partiers after that). It ended up being three long nights of them going through cases of beer, and sleeping in the next day. So the WP job got to only the mid-way point, with him having to take my A4 back to Arizona yesterday. And a disassembled Passat in the middle of my garage.

But it was all good because some PassatWorld people came by. Mark (Passaat) and his wife drove over in their black '98 5-speed 1.8T wagon on Friday, extremely nice folks as you would expect from the PassatWorld crowd. He's donated various brand-new parts, so my son keeps inspired to maintain the car. Then on Saturday, Dave (AndreasPassat) and his wife road in with one of their Passats, a 2.8 sedan. Despite many hours of driving, he wasn't too tired to help pull that bumper off! By the time I remembered to call John_E, who lives reasonably close, my skinny driveway was already too packed.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,542 Posts
Just as well you didn't call me, because my younger son and I were replacing the PCV system on my wife's Passat wagon. :)

My good ol' 12-valve 1996 A4 (very similar to yours) keeps running pretty well, although I did have to torque down on a hose clamp to keep the new (very pretty after the old grungy one) overflow tank from dripping out the bottom.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
If I would have rode in alone, I would've stayed for the duration. I would have been way better off to stay even later than try to fight that traffic back up to Burbank.

Reactions: skullkz and ylwagon

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, but what happened to the WP? Did you change it or was the leak from something else?
Well, its not yet changed as by the time it came out, time was too short (my son and his pal had 6~7 hours of driving to do, and had to be at Luke AFB that evening for his late shift). I didn't personally verify the leak, I'm taking his word for it that the coolant was coming from the freeze plug on that AEB coolant pump. Dave - AndreasPassat - noticed some dried residue on the radiator side tank, so who knows?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would never underestimate a water pump / TB change. I still have nightmares about it! LOL - Just ask Andreas (although he's probably still laughing)!

Sounds like you had a great PW party! It's amazing how a helping hand makes things so much easier, quicker, and less stressful.

Hope you guys had a great holiday. Thank your son and friends for their service - glad to see you were home base for them for the holidays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts