Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my story. Mind you, I have never touched any car or surface with my car. All of the damage has been done while car has been parked. This is the latest tat got me really pissed

Well, here is the one I got when car was one day old (literally)

Here is something I got when taking my kid for train ride

And this is of unknown origin, my best guess is an infamous shopping cart...

Well, what is you guesstimate on repair cost of all items? I am so pissed!!! I guess I am just venting...

· needs more cowbell
5,748 Posts
not sure about the other, but the yellow/red/black on the bumper should easily come off with some hand polishing

· Registered
5,518 Posts
after a year of city parking, and accumulating scratches on each of my 4 corners, i've been able to buff out most of the other paint. going to have guy touch up my car this weekend and going forward, i'm paying for garage parking (although that's not much better).

· needs more cowbell
5,748 Posts
W8inde said:
When I see someone with non-parking abilities and an IQ less than 80, I carrier some preprinted messages around for such events. Got the link from a B5.5 member, but can't remember who:

"Thanks asshole"
HAHAHA!!! i used to carry these around when i had my old '89 golf. kept a stack of them in glove box for special occassions. thanks, now i can print out a nice clear image for people.

· Registered
951 Posts
I think wherever you have parallel parking, your car is bound to get "bumped and grinded." Most people suck at parallel parking.

What's funny is, when I learned how to drive a tractor trailer (it was my job back in college) I had to parallel park it for my test. Talk about a parking job. But it came in handy. You New Yorkers out there know, I had to make weekly deliveries in to Humbolt Ave off the BQE and parallel park a 53' trailer to hit the dock. What fun! Yes, I was the guy causing the traffic jam, lol.

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car was always driven by me and I never as much as touched anything. All the damage has been done while parked. There is more damage but very subtle. Of course, the most upsetting was the one on the back bumper. Car was literally 1 day old. yellow stuff on front bumper will mostly come off with polishing but still will need a touch up. Then touch ups on back bumper and rear left corner. The door is bad stuff. Someone recommended polishing most of it off, dentless and touch up. Might work

· Registered
2,264 Posts
1.8Tttturbo said:
thats what i was referring to when i said street parking... nyc is the worst.
Richmond is right up there with it- the "Richmond bump" is the notorious sign of the idiot who has no depth perception and/or spatial relationship skills (mostly females, but I've seen my share of men who can't park either). The telltale sign around here is the twin indentations on your rear bumper left by the two screws holding on the state-mandated front license plate. I think it is because VCU/MCV takes up so much of downtown that there are just a bunch of young assholes who are not used to parallel parking. Until now, I commuted to school so I purchased parking permits for campus lots ($300+ /year) and never had a problem, but the one time I drove my 99 and had to park on the street, I got the rear bumper scuffed from someone bumping it. Thanks jerk-off. Now that I live in a complex across the street from the SoE with covered parking and my own reserved space, I don't have to worry about driving all that much any way.

Some shops have flat rates on touch-up, the dealer shop I brought my 03 for body work charged something like $70 for three scratches to touch up, but it depends on whether you go to high-quality shops or not. Some you might be able to do yourself, that yellow one will come out with some rubbing compund, but you have to be careful not to scratch your paint with it as it takes a fair amount of skill/experience.

· Registered
160 Posts
I have small tears on the bumper cover for my rear bumper, on the lip, from SUVs and such that have driven up and over my rear bumper. You know, the little dents can be taken out pretty well with a PDR service, but stuff like those tears, it really bothers me, like every day.

· Registered
326 Posts
I rarely have any problems like this. My rule of thumb is to pick your parking lot neighbors. I never part alone. Always park between (2) cars that look like they have fussy owners. People like yourself.

My wife on the other hand, parks alone, only to return to see here car flanked by huge pickup trucks & SUV's with owners who have to smash you doors to get out of their monster trucks. She's even had dump trucks squeeze in next to her.

Jon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.