Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually my temp gauge stays right on 190 degrees, but today, going downhill in the mountains, it actually went lower than 190. Back up the hills, it went back up to 190.
It's never done this before, or at least I've never noticed it, even in Winter. It's a 1999 V6 with 52,000 miles.

It's never gone over 190 (thank goodness).

·
Registered
181 Posts
VAB5 said:
Usually my temp gauge stays right on 190 degrees, but today, going downhill in the mountains, it actually went lower than 190. Back up the hills, it went back up to 190.
It's never done this before, or at least I've never noticed it, even in Winter. It's a 1999 V6 with 52,000 miles.

It's never gone over 190 (thank goodness).

Hmmm... my temp sensor too always stays at 190, and it never moves, maybe it is bad. If it was would we get a CEL?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trekie said:
Your temp sensor is bad. I have already replaced mine.
Temp sensor might be working fine - could also be your thermostat. Could be sticking open, thus allowing coolant to flow even when engine temp drops.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I think the 'bad' indication is because it moves. The electronics driving the gauge is programmed to stay steady at 190F indicated through a given temp band - iirc about 10-15 degrees wide, so as not to alarm those who don't know this can be normal.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think the temp sensor in the passat is just a dummy needle, has it ever gove above 190 for anyone? I have yet to see mine fluctuate. on my mothers c230k it fluctuated dramatically depending the conditions I drive in (i.e. when I abuse the shit out of it :lol: )

it does dip down ocasionaly because of that stupid temp sensor. :mad:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
When I changed my timing belt I also change the water pump and thermostat. I didn't get all the air out of the cooling system the first time I bled it and when I started the car I had an air pocket somewhere which caused the car to overheat. I shut it down before any damage was done, but that is the only time I have seen my temp gage go above 190. It did indicate the high temperature.

BTW - A week later the temperature sensor became intermittent and I had to replace it. I think the brief over-temperature caused it to fail. they really seem to be weak components.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My was bad also on my 2001 V6 GLX. It would read 190 and then drop to nothing, until you hit the next bump. I had it replaced under the extended warranty, now it stays at 190.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hate guages that are really just a moving idiot light.

[edit] I've just been out for the first time today and the temp hit 190 in under a mile then never moved again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.