Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it'd be bad if I had to use the original spare (195/65-15 Continental tire) with the other three tires, being aftermarket and not exactly the same diameter as the spare. The examples:

225/40-18
235/40-18

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Why would it be bad? When I had my SVT. One of my 19's blew out and I changed to my 15 inch spare. Yeah it looked tacky but it worked.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should rephrase... Would it damage the drivetrain at all to have one tire be a different size than the other three? Is it crucial to have a matching tire as a spare?

·
Registered
648 Posts
gnosis said:
I'm wondering if it'd be bad if I had to use the original spare (195/65-15 Continental tire) with the other three tires, being aftermarket and not exactly the same diameter as the spare. The examples:

225/40-18
235/40-18
As you go up in size on rims, your tire gets lower in profile, that is why your 15's are 65, so diamater is the same size as your 18s, that is why people say going 19s you loose major performance, because 35 series on 19s is not the same as 15's with 65's. So even if you drove on it for a long time your 18's would put more damage then your 15 inch spare since the tire on your 15 has more air then metal.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if the overal diamerter is really off, which it cant be to still fit and look right , so if the diamerter is really off , if you have esp, that wont work right/ will always be going off, and abs might not work right. but for really short distances in emergancies, it wont harm anything. dont worry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts