Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to the head shop dude at a local dealer and he quoted me $620 for TB and tensioner, $1050 for TB, tensioner, and water pump for a '99 1.8T Passat. There was an extra 360 in labor charges tacked on, so I called him up asked him what the deal was (thinking that throwing in a water pump while the car was ripped apart wouldn't add much labor). He explained that depending on which specific 1.8T it was, there may be a need to put the car into the “service position” to get to the water pump, and that is apparently a lot of work. However, he said, if they don’t need to do that, then they’ll replace it without adding labor costs. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Earl

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Go elsewhere. That quote is about $450 higher than the upper range of a decent price.
Yes, there is a service position that involves moving the front bumper. I don't think it takes 5 hours to get the thing in/out of service position though...

What's your location?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Uh...all 1.8T's would be required to be in the "service" position. to efectively remove and replace the TB, tensioner and WP, and honestly, to get the car in the service position (basically pulling the front end of the car about 6 inches forward) it only takes about an hour...if that.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
ChkYaHead said:
Uh...all 1.8T's would be required to be in the "service" position. to efectively remove and replace the TB, tensioner and WP, and honestly, to get the car in the service position (basically pulling the front end of the car about 6 inches forward) it only takes about an hour...if that.
Ditto what he said. Stay away from that service department...

·
Registered
732 Posts
If he doesn't know whether it needs to be put into the service position or not I wouldn't want him working on it even if it were free. And yep, I can put the front end in the service position in under an hour, while chatting and playing with my 2 and 4 year old children.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Variant18t-

If you want to see what the "service position" looks like, check out the pictures in my timing belt post: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60301 It's really doesn't take all that long if you've done it before (as I'd assume most dealership techs have :roll: ). There would be added labor, etc for doing the water pump, since they'd have to drain, refill and purge the cooling system, but not $360 worth!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
ericpeterman said:
If he doesn't know whether it needs to be put into the service position or not I wouldn't want him working on it even if it were free. And yep, I can put the front end in the service position in under an hour, while chatting and playing with my 2 and 4 year old children.
Yeah, the trick is to give them each a Torx driver and put them to work on the wheel well liners. "First one done gets ice cream!" :lol:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
DaddyMatt said:
ericpeterman said:
Yeah, the trick is to give them each a Torx driver and put them to work on the wheel well liners. "First one done gets ice cream!" :lol:
LOL Now that is funny. well done, it gave me a chuckle this morning.

Back to the subject, I replaced my snub mount last weekend. V6 service position, 1 Hr. replace mount 30 secs. Back to service position 45 mins.
Sure ain't worth $360. Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have in writing that they'll charge $620.00 for TB and tensioner, and if they don't have to do any extra tearing apart, they'll throw in the WP without adding labor.

A local import shop wants about $1200 to do the same job. They told me that they take apart the water pump housing, and that's why there's additional labor.

I'd love to do it myself, but this particular dealer has the lowest quote of anyone in the area.

Earl

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Walk away.

These are all stupid people.

Even on AEB 1.8s, with the timing belt off you just take off the oil pump drive pulley to remove the water pump instead of taking the alternator and bracket and all that crap off. It adds no more than an hour.

If they don't know that, you don't want them in there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but did i read that a water pump replacement requires a coolant flush? Is that an immediate thing, or more along the lines of an alignment post-suspension upgrade? Is the car driveable post-WP install and pre-flush?
Sorry again, but i'm preparing to do this work and want to make sure it's done right.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
tonality said:
Sorry to hijack, but did i read that a water pump replacement requires a coolant flush? Is that an immediate thing, or more along the lines of an alignment post-suspension upgrade? Is the car driveable post-WP install and pre-flush?
Sorry again, but i'm preparing to do this work and want to make sure it's done right.
You don't have to flush anything.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Variant18t said:
I talked to the head shop dude at a local dealer and he quoted me $620 for TB and tensioner, $1050 for TB, tensioner, and water pump for a '99 1.8T Passat. There was an extra 360 in labor charges tacked on, so I called him up asked him what the deal was (thinking that throwing in a water pump while the car was ripped apart wouldn't add much labor). He explained that depending on which specific 1.8T it was, there may be a need to put the car into the “service position” to get to the water pump, and that is apparently a lot of work. However, he said, if they don’t need to do that, then they’ll replace it without adding labor costs. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Earl
Oh my gosh.. Everyone knows that dealerships and most service departments make a killing on parts. There's a really good vendor called ECSTuning which sells full timing-belt kits which include all the tensioners, belts, and waterpump. The kits range from $170 to $290.00 depending on your engine code. The only thing these kits don't include is the coolant which is advised when replacing your waterpump.

How many 1.8T's has your mechanic worked on. From my understanding, in order to remove the tensioner assembly you have to remove the waterpump. Don't let an inexperienced mechanic do a half-assed timing-belt change or you will pay in the long run. " About 3-5G's for a new engine!!!"

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
tonality said:
When are you doing yours. I have to order my parts soon,maybe a timing belt GTG is in order?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
ditto they're just taking the standard retail price of TB service and same for water pump service and adding them together without deducting redundant labor time. They all do this when you ask for a quote, it's just brain-dead, then they lose the business.

Sure, they make some money on parts, but I don't really begrudge that. I draw the line at charging me 3-4 hours 'labor' to do a bunch of inspections which take at most 15 minutes to do (if they're done at all...warranty work is done at below-market labor rate so I wonder if they even do checks that might reveal the need for warranty work) plus the 15 minutes it takes to change the oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.