Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 V6 and have been using Castrol 10W30 and changing ever 3500 miles. It is non synthetic. Am I going to get the sludge thing? I never knew that you must use synthetic. Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Passats with the 1.8T hold the distinction of being the top sludger. I haven't yet heard of a sludge problem with the V6. You still may want to consider using synthetic oils for reasons other than prevention of sludge... Having said that, you will be fine with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ikabob said:
I have a 2002 V6 and have been using Castrol 10W30 and changing ever 3500 miles. It is non synthetic. Am I going to get the sludge thing? I never knew that you must use synthetic. Thanks
Your v6 engine is safe from the sludge issue. Not that a v6 cannot sludge, but with regular oil changes and regular oil you will be fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The VW V6 oil filter (Mann) has a bypass valve that opens at 3 bar or 43.5 psi. None of the aftermarket filters have that high of a pressure opening, so it's good to use a Mann filter. The VW filter is good for 30,000 kilometers though, so using a synthetic that meets VW 503.01 will allow you to 10k miles between changes and allow you to get the most out of your oil filter. The cost per mile will be about the same but will allow you to crawl under your less. Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that's made in Germany or Mobil-1 0w-40 both meet VW 503.01.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
TCWhite said:
The VW V6 oil filter (Mann) has a bypass valve that opens at 3 bar or 43.5 psi. None of the aftermarket filters have that high of a pressure opening, so it's good to use a Mann filter. The VW filter is good for 30,000 kilometers though, so using a synthetic that meets VW 503.01 will allow you to 10k miles between changes and allow you to get the most out of your oil filter. The cost per mile will be about the same but will allow you to crawl under your less. Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that's made in Germany or Mobil-1 0w-40 both meet VW 503.01.
Are you sure on 30,000 Km? I thought it was 15.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts