Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's been a month since I started driving an 03 V6 Wagon. I'm confused by the Multi Function Computer. Tonight it said I had 10kms to empty. I stopped to fill and the car took 49 litres. If the capacity is 62 that means 13 litres remained in the tank. I know it likes the gas but 13 litres for 20 kms? Is this thing correct. What range are others getting with a manual shift v6 wagon?

Thanks in advance, Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..and for that matter...do I have a clue on posting... sorry about the double listing...friggen greasy computer fingers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Most of us have found that the fuel gage and the MFA miles-remaining readout is somewhat pessimistic, in that we usually see anywhere from 2.5 to 4 gallons (US, sorry) remaining in the tank after we fill up. I guess they did this to keep people from running out of gas.

The mileage remaining value has to be based on some MPG value. This could be trip average or maybe the long term MPG (MFA 2)....who knows? But it could vary depending on the current fuel mileage.

It's not a good idea to run these cars completely out of gas, but I wish I could just once, so that I know what the gage reads when that happens. IF you find out, let us know.

·
Registered
539 Posts
bobstate said:
So, it's been a month since I started driving an 03 V6 Wagon. I'm confused by the Multi Function Computer. Tonight it said I had 10kms to empty. I stopped to fill and the car took 49 litres. If the capacity is 62 that means 13 litres remained in the tank. I know it likes the gas but 13 litres for 20 kms? Is this thing correct. What range are others getting with a manual shift v6 wagon?

Thanks in advance, Rob
In answer to your question, no the the MFC doesn't have a clue. It's just an electronic processor programmed by someone in Germany who also may not have a clue.:lol:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The MFA calculates remaining range by extrapolating mileage from the previous 20 minutes or 20 miles of driving (can't remember which). I've driven about 100 miles after the thing read 0 mi. range and still only filled up 14.5 gallons, meaning there was still 1.5 gallons left in the tank. Doing that on a regular basis is a surefire way to burnout your fuel pump since it circulates gas back into the tank for cooling itself (less fuel= less cooling capacity= hotter pump)

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
The MFA calculates remaining range by extrapolating mileage from the previous 20 minutes or 20 miles of driving (can't remember which). I've driven about 100 miles after the thing read 0 mi. range and still only filled up 14.5 gallons, meaning there was still 1.5 gallons left in the tank. Doing that on a regular basis is a surefire way to burnout your fuel pump since it circulates gas back into the tank for cooling itself (less fuel= less cooling capacity= hotter pump)
Nice use of the word "extrapolating" :thumbup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
Wish i would have known about the pump cooling because i am famous for running around for a day or two with the low fuel light on :Yikes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
bobstate said:

Thanks in advance, Rob

TSB 90-03-01, Multi-function Trip Computer, Accuracy: "The trip computer is designed to err on the side of safety so that the vehicle does not run out of fuel."

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Doing that on a regular basis is a surefire way to burnout your fuel pump since it circulates gas back into the tank for cooling itself (less fuel= less cooling capacity= hotter pump)"

Is this usual for all the Passats? I have a 2000 year reg one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all this everybody. I'm very new to this club and the car. I was literally looking in the tank last night while my girlfriend sank in the passenger seat to avoid being noticed.

Love this 03 V6 Wagon. Mods in only a month inlcude Rear Fog Light, W8 Illuminated Overhead Console and the European Headlight Switch. So long DRLs! Next, HID.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I remember one night on the I-80 in NJ, the refuel light blinked, it said i had 50 miles left. I thought I could make it to New York on the fuel, but I underestimated fuel consumption. The multifunction computer read 0 miles left of fuel, I was able to drive another 25 miles to a gas station. When I filled up, I had another 1.5 gallon of gas in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts