Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add some 18's on my '03 B5.5 and was wondering if I should drop it as well. I dont want it too low so I was thinking of getting neuspeed Sofsport or H&R springs. I spent most of my cash on the wheels and tires so Im leaving the oem shocks as is. Also wondering if any good shops in northern N.J. to get them installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think I should drop it more than the sofsport's are gonna give me? I was looking at the group buy in the classifides $155 shipped or the H&R on E-bay $120 shipped.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yes you will need to drop it otherwise it will look like an SUV.
If your leaving the stock shocks get the Eibach springs.
Contact B5BEL he is a VW tech at dealership in NJ.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
This is article from VDAT e.V. site (this is German Tuning Association)

Lowering and a high-rate shock absorber set-up doesn't only make the look of a car more exciting: A professionally set-up sport suspension is also decisive in a further improved active safety! The Ford Focus equipped with a full sport suspension wasn't only convincing due to its more agile and easier to control handling in the suspension test of the VDAT e.V. und SACHS: This car also had a three meters shorter stopping distance in comparison with the same car with standard chassis.

In cooperation with its member SACHS, the German Automobile Tuners Association (VDAT e.V.) took four identic Ford Focus with four different suspension set-ups on the German test track in Boxberg. German professional racing driver Thomas Klenke, who has won the German Touring Car Challenge (DTC) 2002 with a Ford Focus, was engaged to do the test drives.

While the reference car started in standard configuration, one of the test cars was equipped with lowering springs and stock shock absorbers, one car had SACHS Performance sport dampers in combination with standard springs and the fourth Focus competed with a complete SACHS sport suspension.

All four Ford Focus had to undergo the same test cycles with standard tires and low profile tires at the Boxberg test center which is used by nearly all big car manufacturers for all kinds of test driving.

The comparions tests on the angled handling track demonstrated that the lap times between the slowest car, the Focus with standard chassis, and the quickest competitor, the car with the complete SACHS sport suspension, differed by exactly 0.79 seconds.

But Thomas Klenke emphasized further advantages:"The Ford Focus already has an excellent standard suspension. But especially the fitting of the complete SACHS sport suspension makes the handling even more directly and even more easier to control. In addition the more direct feedback from the sport suspension to the steering-wheel gives the driver a better and safer feeling for the car."

The advantages of professional chassis tuning are much more in evidence after fitting low profile tuning tires. The face-to-face comparison of the Focus with standard chassis and standard tires with the car with sport suspension and sporty low profile tires arises much bigger differences: With a time of 21.76 seconds the completely converted car passes the ISO slalom test more than one second quicker than the completely standard Ford.

The differences become even more extreme on the handling course: While the basic car requires 59.29 seconds for the track, the Focus with SACHS sport suspension and low profile tires only requires 56.47 seconds on the curvy track.

The professional suspension tuning scores its biggest advantage on the extremely important braking test from a speed of 100 km/h: The Focus with standard tires and sport suspension came to stop 2.87 meters prior to the car with stock chassis.

The additional fitting of broader low profile tires could further improve braking performance: The completely converted Ford Focus has an exactly 7.12 meters shorter stopping distance what enormously improves active safety.

Therewith the VDAT handling test clearly proves that professional chassis tuning doesn't only have an optical effect: Beside a plus of fun in driving the fitting of a sport suspension - optimally combined with low profile tires - can protect against heavy injury or can even safe lives by reducing stopping distance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
julianfang
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing