Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New thread disclaimer: I searched for "air filter work harder turbo"

Does the air filter work harder in turbo cars? It seems to make sense to me since more air would flow through the same filter for a 1.8T vs a 1.8NA. But what about a 2.8NA? :confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am no mechanic, but I would think not. The Turbo uses more of the exhaust I thought. Great question. I will be watching the answers posted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes to the extent you are boosting you are sucking more air than a normally aspirated engine of the same displacement.

Thats the whole point, you push more air into the cylinder so you can burn more fuel which produces more power.

But in practice the time you actually spend in boost as a percentage of total time driven is a small fraction. So the actual total cubic feet of air filtered wouldn't be that much larger.

Unless you are some kind of maniac driver.

Compared to a 2.8, hmmm I don't know. You could probably use your gas mileage as a general gauge of how much air your filter is filtering . Meaning the vast majority of time is spent in closed loop operation, i.e. the air fuel ratio is 14.7 or so. So if you are getting 30 miles per gallon the fuel burn rate is the same so the air consumption rate is the same. All other things like drivetrain losses being equal, which is probably not true when comparing a 6 to a 4 cylinder but I digress.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It just depends... i mean a big V12 is gonna have to pull a bunch of air through the filter. But yes a turbo 1.8 is using it more than a N/A 1.8 i would think.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
For the most part, the amount of amount of air used is proportionate to the amount of fuel used, even in a turbocharged car. A 1.8L like that in the Integra Type R for example probably takes in more air than the 1.8T in your Passat because it uses more fuel, and makes more horsepower.

The only purpose of a turbo is to provide additional air to suppliment additional fuel, to produce additional horsepower, but there won't be significantly more air passing through the air filter than a non-turbo engine with compareable horsepower. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Great point, but the induction is forced with a turbocharged car.
Perhaps more particles get "sucked" up in there? I guessing here...

Someone help me out.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think between the cylinder size, compression ratio, and A/F ratio, we could come up with a number for the Kg/m^2 of air sucked in per minute.

Assuming the filter size is the same between 1.8T and 2.8 motors, the bigger of the above number would put more effort on the filter.

But between 1.8NA and 1.8T motors, all other factors remaining constant, I would think the Turboed motor sucks up more air.

rbanting69 said:
I am no mechanic, but I would think not. The Turbo uses more of the exhaust I thought. Great question. I will be watching the answers posted.
It uses exhaust pressure to force feed *fresh* air into the motor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how's the weather in oregon? :)

i don't think it's a good idea to use HP as a yardstick here because i've once read that thermal efficiency of an engine can change the HP output of an equal displacement engine. but then i'm no expert in thermal efficiency or engine design...

EchoOfGecko said:
For the most part, the amount of amount of air used is proportionate to the amount of fuel used, even in a turbocharged car. A 1.8L like that in the Integra Type R for example probably takes in more air than the 1.8T in your Passat because it uses more fuel, and makes more horsepower.

The only purpose of a turbo is to provide additional air to suppliment additional fuel, to produce additional horsepower, but there won't be significantly more air passing through the air filter than a non-turbo engine with compareable horsepower. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts