Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Does the 1999 V6 thermostat have one or two orings?

780 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  LineInTheWater 
#1 ·
This deserved a separate thread because AndreasPassat and I are discussing an issue that is puzzling. He's convinced that there are two orings, and I only have one. I have one on the old one I removed, and only one came with the new one I'm about to install. It mounts on the outside of the thermostat (so you can see it when the thermostat is inserted). I didn't have any o-rings behind it, nor did the replacement thermostat come with two o-rings (just the same as I removed). What the heck is going on? AndreasPassat is always spot on, so I don't know what the heck to think. I didn't see anything fly out when I pulled the old one. I can look around. Makes no sense.

#4 ·
If this 2nd o-ring does exist, the only thing that makes sense is that the VW dealer who did my last TB change didn't put it in. But why didn't I have leaks at the thermostat if that's the case? This holiday weekend is definitely the wrong time to be stuck on a timing belt job. :crazy:

#6 ·
THANK YOU PZ! I've been in a holding pattern for hours. I'll text your answer to AndreasPassat. I'm stunned he was incorrect, because the guy is dead on with everything. I didn't want to move forward when he was so convinced.

I'm so thankful for his help. I'm going to owe him a new car when I'm done.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok, first up, AndreasPassat just apologized and said he was confusing with a different car (I certainly don't blame him!).

Second, so we are all on the same page, and so anyone reading this in the future understands:

Pic#1: Hole into which thermostat is installed. The lip at the beginning is where AndreasPassat thought an o-ring should go (I think), but every source, and my old one, was installed direct metal contact between lip of thermostat and the mating metal surface.

Pic#2: Thermostat installed with the only o-ring placed outside.

Pic#3: The housing mating surface, which is cinched down directly on the thermostat - no additional o-ring.

We all clear?

(EDIT: I correctly oriented the thermostat in 2nd picture, with valve on top, as mentioned in the next post - the 2nd pic is now correct).

Auto part Engine Wheel

Auto part Wheel Engine

Auto part Muffler Bumper Engine Exhaust system

#8 · (Edited)
After watching yet ANOTHER instruction video, I realized that the thermostat above is installed upside down. That small hole is a bleed air hole or something. It wasn't mentioned in any of my instructions. Glad I accidentally caught it now!! Just to make sure that I don't mislead anyone in the future, I'll replace the pic above with the correct orientation after I go back in and spin it.

EDIT: Image now shows correct installation orientation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.