Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderate Moderator
16,463 Posts
Banjo bolts need crush-washers. When the bolt is torqued down, the crush-washer (being of softer metal) squishes and deforms slightly to crate a seal between the mating surfaces. Technically, a crush washer should only get squished once and replaced if the assembly is taken apart. They aren't expensive or hard to find. Call your auto parts store and ask for price and availability.

In this picture you see two crush washers because there are two places that need to seal.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
FWIW. I installed O'Reilly rear rebuilt calipers at different times and neither would bleed due to faulty bleeder bolts. Replaced them with the bleeder bolts from the original calipers and was able to quickly bleed them. Sounds crazy but that's what happened to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unscrewed banjo bolt and noticed the copper washers were in fact there--reinstalled the banjo bolt. Replaced the bleeder screws and used the Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder. PROBLEM SOLVED! thanks everyone! larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.