Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 22,000 miles with the v6 Passat I have had about enough of the poor pickup at low revs and the non-linear throttle response. Does the Neuspeed chip improve driveability of the v6? I'd pay way more just to have a car that drove better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
hi, what exactly to you mean poor pick up at low rpm?

are you experiencing hesitations or caughs?

i have a v6 glx 30v 2003 11.5kmiles and when i accelerate im fine but when i accelerate then decelerate then have to accelerate again using low rpm not pressing the gas i get hesitations or coughs... usually 1 to 3 sometimes more but very random.

let me know if ur issue is the same.

thx.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car is at idle in 1st gear, so creeping along at a few miles per hour, and you try to accelerate away the car picks up then hesitates then leaps into life again. Onc it's over about 2000 revs it drives as expected.

Another issue seems to be that the throttle response of the unloaded engine is different from the loaded engine. Almost as if the throttle position was interpreted as an engine speed requirement and the DBW set the actual throttle position to achieve that. So sometimes on hill starts it is hard to get a stable engine response to throttle demand, a little less and it stalls, a little more and the revs head for the roof or the wheels spin as you take of like Niki Lauda. After driving about 40 vehicles ranging from horribly underpowered (90hp in a 20,000 lb truck) to foolishly overpowered (300hp in a 1000 lb car) I find this one of the most difficult to drive well. It took two minutes to get the feel of a Miata and about the same with the F250 diesel, yet after six months and 22k miles I still find it difficult to get the Passat revs right for up or down shifts. Down shifts the engine is especially reluctant to rev, I've taken to stamping on the gas to get the revs up. In contrast the Mondeo that I've been driving since Sunday and only driven 400 miles is easy to hill start and easy to match revs on up or down shifts, it also has much better handling but the fixes for that are simple if not cheap.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It drives exactly as it did the day I bought it. The BMW 325i and 323i have similar behavior at low speed in 1st. Perhaps it's just a big engine and low gear thing?

·
Registered
969 Posts
geordie said:
It drives exactly as it did the day I bought it. The BMW 325i and 323i have similar behavior at low speed in 1st. Perhaps it's just a big engine and low gear thing?
My 99 V6 does the same thing. It is an issue with multivalve engines. I also have a 86 BMW 535i and it is a 12 valve engine. It has more low end torque than my Passat. Also I find that the gearing is a little off, ie 2nd gear is too short and 3rd is too tall. ( try matching RPM's in a 3rd to 2nd shift).

·
Registered
168 Posts
i drove today paying attention to the low rpm acceleration and i totally agree the passat v6 is extremely sensitive and if u dont get it just right for ur situation the acceleration can be very laggy or in my case to low an acceleration on 5th gear in auto mode i can hesitate or caugh. almost like im on 5th gear slowed down and still on 5th then attempt to accelerate boom hesitation :)

my car is at around 12k now over one yr so yes i agree with you. i think this is a common thing for several makes not just VW.

personally after my lease is up im going pure sports car and giving up on mid range sedans... might as well pay for some fun instead of dealing with bs like this...

Ganx14

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just word of caution....injector fluid is fairly BAD for your Cats. That was the first thing my dealership asked me when I had my cats replaced.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Wett chip addressed the problem for me. The "dead zones" were completely maddening to me that I sprung for the chip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts