Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the title, but it was the best I could do. I wondered that seeing as the radio from the 99 has a sort of detachable faceplate - well it detatches if you're not careful how you handle it, then is the security mechanism in that, or in the body of the radio?

The reason I ask is because the cassette part of mine has busted and I have a replacement, but I have no code for that one :banghead: If the security is in the front panel, then I'll just swap those around and I'll be back in business.

Also I notice that one of the pins on the connector is marked SAFE so I wonder if removing that pin (like on the Euroswitch) could be a solution.

btw, I did do a search first.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
it is in the radio itself. but last time I checked, a stock radio with a cassette player does NOT have a detachable faceplate as per se. you might be able to replace it if you are careful and find the cable run that attaches to it and disconnect it, then reconnect and attach the new one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are three, maybe four 'clips' along the top and the bottom. Once they are released, the face comes off. There's a connector with ten maybe twelve pins in it. It's down in one of the bottom corners.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Or you can just go to your local dealer, tell them your original radio took a dump (That surely won't be a suprise to them)and you need the security code for the one you got from the junkyard. I did it twice with my 2000. No problem, no charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts