Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have their ETKA 5.0 software working on a computer running Windows XP Pro?

I have followed the instructions. I install the program and then try to open the program. The program error code says that the drive is not locked. I try running the locking program on the CD, like the readme file says. The locking program runs forever, the task manager says the program is not responding; however, the hard drive busy light is steady. I let the locking program run for over 1.5 hours before finally killing the application.

Has anyone had any luck with this program on XP Pro?

TIA

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the software-based parts breakdown manual for our B5; the same program used by the parts department at the dealer.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Im leaving the IB4TL stuff alone.

Anyway, I wasnt able to get it to work on my parents computer at all. I tried doing the other spare program it asks to use if it doesnt load. I didnt bother with it because it just wouldnt recognize the program at all on XP. So, I have it loaded on my anchient Win 98 SE.

Steve

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
I tried to get my copy to run on XP, no luck though.
It runs fine with Win2000 I thouht XP was based on 2000?
I guess there are more issues to resolve first.
If anyone does manage to get the key working then I'm interested too ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scuba2001 said:
Im leaving the IB4TL stuff alone.

Anyway, I wasnt able to get it to work on my parents computer at all. I tried doing the other spare program it asks to use if it doesnt load. I didnt bother with it because it just wouldnt recognize the program at all on XP. So, I have it loaded on my anchient Win 98 SE.

Steve
Scuba2001: You are saying it is working fine with WIN98SE? I’ll try to load it under WIN98SE. My computer has swappable hard drives. Each of the drives has a different operating system: WIN98SE, LINUX, WIN2000, and XP Pro. I will try to load it on WIN98SE when I have a chance.

V6er: WIN XP utilizes a lot of the WIN2000 code; however, it is a different OS build. WIN XP has a different graphical user interface but, under the hood, it does behave and respond much like WIN2000 for many operations.

Pafc: To the best of my knowledge, the program is legal. I purchased the program off eBay; I am not saying that all software sold on eBay is legal.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Find the folder it is loaded in using Explorer (not IE) Rt click and choose compatibility mode...choose Win2K or something. It may work then.....

Don't remember if you can do it at the folder level, but for sure at the .exe level, but try folder first.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Ooinn99 said:
Scuba2001: You are saying it is working fine with WIN98SE? I’ll try to load it under WIN98SE. My computer has swappable hard drives. Each of the drives has a different operating system: WIN98SE, LINUX, WIN2000, and XP Pro. I will try to load it on WIN98SE when I have a chance.
This is correct. :thumbup:

Steve

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i got me a copy of this too... i got it running and all that.. BUT:

i can't use it because the resolution it requires is greater than what my machine can handle.

any solutions or suggestions?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
------TJ------ said:
I thought the mods would lock this down, because Ekta is protected VAG software that we are not supposed to have...

IBTK is a shorthand for: In before the Lock..

I guess I am just immature.. ;)

TJ
Keep on gone. you'll get out of 1st gear eventually ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
TwoLitreVW said:
i got me a copy of this too... i got it running and all that.. BUT:

i can't use it because the resolution it requires is greater than what my machine can handle.

any solutions or suggestions?
Nope. No way around it. My friend has the Audi ETKA software and an LCD that doesn't have a high enough resolution. He had to install it on my pc to get it to work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Try this on XP machines. After running the installation program from the CD. Copy the LEXHDL5.DLL and LEXHDLL5.DLL files from the EPC_PROG.W95 folder on the installation CD and place them in the c:\epc_prog folder on the hard drive, overwriting the files that are already there. I had a problem on one computer with the ETKA shortcut not working after doing all that. IIRC the original shortcut target was c:\epc_prog\W_SELECT.EXE and once I changed it to c:\epc_prog\WINETKA.EXE everything was fine.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
200 Posts
HermanH said:
so would anyone know of the code for this thing? Or is there a hacked-copy I could download from someone here????
There are versions out there that do not require the dealer "hard lock". I have both the U.S. and Euro edition from a few years back but they only go up through 2001. No "hard lock" needed!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Keep on gone. you'll get out of 1st gear eventually ;)

I am going to "keep on gone" :crazy:

I am very concerned, I will never be able to shift in to the leagues of 2nd and third, but even I as I post this, I am getting closer...

Ever sinced I joined up here, in 2000 any Ekta talk was immediately shut down...

I guess times are a changin'

One post closer to validation!!!!!!!

TJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.